PDA

View Full Version : air compressor advice

IAMCLOUS
November 1st, 2013, 10:35 PM
So my basement now has a bike room. I have the storage and work area figured out, but I still have a decision to make. My friendly LBS is nice enough to let me borrow their compressor whenever I ask, but they are not as convenient as my basement. I want/need a compressor with the main purposes of blowing out solvent from bearing overhauls and setting up tubeless tires, so I am thinking this would be a smaller capacity unit. I also need some advice on DIYing a presta extension on the air hose. Any advice or brands to stay away from?

Thanks in advance,
J

fordohio
November 2nd, 2013, 07:55 AM
I just have a little pancake compressor. It has been handed down from several people. Looks like it is on its last leg. And it easily does what your describing. The air pressure climbs fast since the tank is so small. It easily holds enough air to set up tires tubeless. Or to blow out bearings, forks, etc. If your only using it for bikes I imagine just about any brand would be fine. And should last for a long time because it wouldn't get overused. Since it is in your house I would personally look for the compressor with the lower sound level. Harbor Freight has good prices on fittings and air accessories. Get a clamp on inflator. Really nice to have a free hand. I just use one of those cheap presta adapters when setting up my tires tubeless. Then use a floor pump the rest of time.

If your going to be using air tools, sanders, grinders, etc. That is a whole other thing. The smaller compressors will never keep up.

I just use one of those cheap presta adapters when setting up my tires tubeless. Then use a floor pump the rest of time.

rupps5
November 2nd, 2013, 08:56 AM
For my basement bike compressor I use a cheap$75 unit I got from advanced auto parts. It is a dual tank unit that has been used and abused and still to my surprise holding up. Think the generic name on it is mechtech or something close to that.

Don't have a presta nozzle for it, just have been using the screw on adapters

Kuttermax
November 2nd, 2013, 10:16 PM
I bought an inexpensive compressor from Sears last year online on Black Friday. I then picked up an Air Bob universal tire inflator. It was almost as much as the compressor but has worked well.

http://www.amazon.com/Problem-Solvers-Air-Bob-Universal-Inflator/dp/B001F2Y2U6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383444863&sr=8-1&keywords=air+bob+presta

grannygeargnome
December 16th, 2013, 03:18 AM
What is your price range? I have a 26 gallon IR single cylinder and it fills all my bicycle/automotive needs.

IAMCLOUS
December 16th, 2013, 10:19 AM
26 gallons seems like a bit of overkill for a bike tire and the sheer size of the unit would overtake my workarea..... I actually purchased one in an auction (paying very, very little for used) and sadly found the wimpy, clapped out compressor only went to 50 of the claimed 125psi, so I am still in the hunt. If I ever need to fill multiple tractor tires, I will be sure to keep you in mind. Thanks for the response.
J

grannygeargnome
December 16th, 2013, 12:26 PM
26 gallons seems like a bit of overkill for a bike tire and the sheer size of the unit would overtake my workarea..... I actually purchased one in an auction (paying very, very little for used) and sadly found the wimpy, clapped out compressor only went to 50 of the claimed 125psi, so I am still in the hunt. If I ever need to fill multiple tractor tires, I will be sure to keep you in mind. Thanks for the response.
J

At least we gleaned that your working with space constraints. I do recommend getting the 125 psi capacity. That is the lowest psi I inflate my road bike tires. My compressor just plugs into the wall and has a larger vertical footprint and doesn't take up much floor space. It has the handle and wheels so it's portable.