PDA

View Full Version : Shimano rear derailer question

pauli18
September 21st, 2013, 10:30 PM
My bike has nine gears on the rear, it stops at I think six maybe five (I'd have to recheck) and my controller clicks through maybe five. Sorry for my lack of terminology, but was the gearing added to the bike or the shimano setup changed, or just needs reconfigured? Hope this makes sense.
Oh late 90's k2 mountain bike.

FastEd
September 22nd, 2013, 07:24 AM
Shift down to the smallest cassette gear in the back. Check the tension on the derailleur cable. Is there a significant amount of slack in it?

pauli18
September 24th, 2013, 04:15 AM
define significant. id say no. it has an even tension, throughout. is it possible i have poblems with engagment in the controls on my handlebars? sometimes on my front derailleur it wont engage and i have to press it several time for it to go into the largest gear.

FastEd
September 24th, 2013, 07:25 AM
It sounds like there could be a number of things that might need adjusted or maintained. It's probably best to take to a bike shop for an estimate to repair.

HWB
September 24th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Has the bike been sitting for a long period of time? The factory grease will gum up after time. Remove the plug where the cable passes through in the shifter and load up the inside of the shifter with some penetrating oil. Let it sit for a while and repeat. Work the shifter through the gears. I've seen it take up to a day to come back to normal.

pauli18
September 25th, 2013, 02:31 AM
yeah, when i bought it the guy said its been siting too long not to be ridden, so yeah. ill try cleaning it out, is this rebuildable?

pauli18
September 26th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Yep, that was it. I removed the plug and shot some chain lube in there, than once through the gears and I was flying through all nine and all three with ease. Thanks a ton guys. Now I need to change my tube because my valve stem separated from the tube. Eh, one thing after another.