PDA

View Full Version : Any iPhone apps for trail riding? Mount points?

Bacon
September 27th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Looking to use my iPhone on the trail. I'd like to find a good navigation app. What do you use? I currently have the Navigon app, but it's a huge battery drain and not ideal for detailed trail use (love to find something with a breadcrumb feature). I also have a stand-alone Garmin, but would like to get away from it.
Also, what sorts of handlebar mounts do do you recommend? Any to avoid?
Thanks!

crackintheshat
September 28th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I don't typically use a nav app, but I do use Strava for ride-tracking. I think it may have the "bread crumb" feature youre looking for:
http://www.strava.com/

From what I can tell it looks decently accurate, I notice some odd changes in elevation tracking, but the distances seem pretty consistent. I can get a 2 hour ride in without killing my battery (HTC Evo 4g), so I think you would be fine.

edit: I just throw my phone in my bag BTW, I cant help you on the mount side of things

dedohioskies
September 28th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I too have been using the Strava app and have been pretty pleased. Same phone actually and have not noticed any substantial battery loss.

Bacon
September 28th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to try it out.
I did find a pretty nice mount and case from Lifeproof. The mount moves easily from bike to bike, which is a plus.

Rick
October 8th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I have found Strava and Mapmyfitness good but drain a lot of battery. I have also used the Mountain bike app from runtastic as well. It uses much less battery and seems to be no less or more accurate.

Bahdler
October 8th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Met Mark Grise at Alum yesterday and he was using Strava... He said it was working pretty well... Have to let him chime in to tell ya more

Bacon
October 9th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Used the Strava App with the Lifeproof case and handlebar mount this past weekend. Everything worked great. I started with 100% battery and did both P1 & P2... finished at 71%. That may sound like a lot of battery use, but if I was using a true GPS app like Navigon, the battery would have been more around 50%.
Rinsing the mud off case, without worry, was nice. Lifeproof rocks.
I think I will be retiring the garmin.

markgrise
October 15th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I found Strava on this link a few weeks ago. I use it with my Iphone, but I am not sure how accurate it is. It seems pretty good (in the absence of nothing), but I've also looked into the Garmin Edge 500. I was going to buy it but I've read a lot of bad reviews on the mounting clip. I don't want to drop $250 on something that looks like more of a road bike mount. I also blame Strava for my recent crash this weekend as I was trying to "place" on the leaderboard on their website. Fell 10 feet off the side of the hill at the end of P2 attempting to traverse the uphill tree roots, and well - I bit it hard. On a more positive note, I still managed to wrap up a sub 40 minute lap while laying upside down with a bike on top of me for 5 minutes!

Big Terry
October 15th, 2012, 03:28 PM
i used to use strava but switched to mapmyride. the strava community is way more elitist than i care to deal with. regardless, with any iphone or android app, youre dealing with an inferior gps antenna and hardware as opposed to that found in a dedicated unit. now that fall is here, and the leaves will be dropping, the accuracy will go up, but over the summer under the full canopy i found major discrepancies in mileage, elevation and speed on the same trail.

it is what it is, and for what they are they seem to do okay, but i think a dedicated gps device would be far better in the long run- and most of the current gps devices can upload their data directly to the strava and mapmyride websites, as well as garmins own website.

markgrise
October 15th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I didn't see where you could upload data directly from the device. I thought it had to be plugged in and synced with a PC in order to do so? Am I mistaken? That's the one thing I liked about using the Strava app for Iphone, it syncs as soon as you press "Finish Ride" on the app.

Big Terry
October 15th, 2012, 04:04 PM
no, you are correct in that you have to sync with your pc, then upload the data to the website. i suppose i should have been a little clearer on that, but since i plug everything into my pc as it is, to me thats like a 'direct upload'. sorry for the confusion.

markgrise
October 15th, 2012, 04:09 PM
No problem, just wanted to clarify because I was confused. Thanks.

Bahdler
October 15th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I've always said Mark, "If you ain't wreckin, you ain't ridin!" But you're a lot older and wiser than I am. Hope you're okay man.

Big Terry
October 15th, 2012, 07:23 PM
I've always said Mark, "If you ain't wreckin, you ain't ridin!" But you're a lot older and wiser than I am. Hope you're okay man.

I like "if you ain't bleeding, you ain't riding hard enough" :D

Sent from somewhere not sitting on my ass in front of the computer.

markgrise
October 15th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I was bleeding, trust me. And I like the mantra. Seems like a good bumper sticker. Haha.

Nicholas
October 17th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I've used Runtastic, Run the Map and Outdoor Navigation (by GPSTuner.com) on Windows Phone 7, all have worked, but I wouldn't say any was amazing.

The Outdoor Navigation App is my favorate right now. It does have the nice feature of being able to cache an area before you're there, so that you don't need active web service to see were you are. It also allows Bing, Open Street Map, Open Cycle Map, or Google Maps to be selected so you have plenty of data sources available.

Regarding mounts and batteries, I keep my phone in my pack, so no handle bar mount. If I'm going on a longer ride, I've got an auxillary USB battery just to keep things topped off.

Bacon
October 26th, 2012, 11:14 AM
After using the Lifeproof case/mount for the past few rides, I can say it's top notch. You can mount on your stem or on the bars. I am sticking with the stem as it does not slide down.
The P1 creek crossing got it pretty wet; mud and sweat as well. Simply washed it off when I got home. Highly recommend.

kcapbell
December 3rd, 2012, 08:39 PM
I use Strava and I have been very happy with it, but I would like to know if there is anything I am missing out on... Are there better apps out there than Strava that I should try out? I just got a new iPhone because it is compatible with Magic Jack Plus (http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/magicJack+Plus), so I would like to know what the good new apps are. Also, what is the most secure handlebar mount I should get for an iPhone 4s. My old mount broke on a rough trail and shattered my screen, so I want to make sure I get the most secure one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

kurtis
December 24th, 2012, 09:41 PM
+1 for Strava. I use a Garmin Edge 200. The battery lasts forever. Okay, maybe not forever, but at least 8 hours. Sure it's more expensive than an app, but much cheaper than a busted iPhone. Also, it saves your iPhone battery for emergencies.

rcospeedwagon
December 26th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I use Map My Ride on iPhone. The app and website have room for GUI improvements, and can be a bit buggy, but it's cheap and gets the job done.

Rick
January 8th, 2013, 11:41 AM
I use Map My Ride on iPhone. The app and website have room for GUI improvements, and can be a bit buggy, but it's cheap and gets the job done.
What have you seen as far as battery consumption? That was my biggest issue with that app. Maybe it has improved with updates?

rcospeedwagon
January 8th, 2013, 12:07 PM
I've never had any battery issues. I always have a full charge before I head out and I always keep the screen shut down. My longest ride was around 5 hours last season.

If you have battery issues you may want to consider shutting down wifi. Map My Ride has conceded that this will cause problems while recording.

Rick
January 8th, 2013, 12:09 PM
I've never had any battery issues. I always have a full charge before I head out and I always keep the screen shut down. My longest ride was around 5 hours last season.

If you have battery issues you may want to consider shutting down wifi. Map My Ride has conceded that this will cause problems while recording.
I will try that. I am sure I am having problems because I am not as fast as I think I am:D

jimm1909
May 6th, 2015, 10:27 PM
A previous post on this thread by user kcapbell has a spam link to voip-info.org that needs to be removed. Thanks.