PDA

View Full Version : WD-40

FastEd
December 29th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Some great weather for riding the fat bike lately. Unfortunately, the chain is getting some top rust after thawing out in the garage. Is WD-40 really a bad idea in the winter to prevent this from happening? I realize it would be necessary as any lube to wipe off the excess.

Gregg
December 29th, 2012, 05:29 PM
what wrong with using a regular lube instead of WD? WD is a solvent too, so you'll lose any thing else on there. Not sure if it will hurt the rollers in the chain or not.

FastEd
December 29th, 2012, 05:43 PM
It's easier to spray on WD-40. Here's what WD-40 says:

WD-40 and Bike Chains
Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product should not be used on bike chains.
Fact:
While WD-40 Multi-Use Product it is not a grease, it is formulated with strong lubricating oils and other ingredients, and is a terrific product to use for bike maintenance. It does not attract dirt or moisture to metal surfaces – just be sure to wipe off any excess WD-40 Multi-Use Product before riding. For long-term lubrication, a specialized bicycle lubricant may be used.

GS1
December 29th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Ed, sounds like you can be our Guinea pig!

fordohio
December 30th, 2012, 12:47 AM
I personally have quit using WD40. It stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try. Where does the water get displaced to? I have heard from several people that they have had more rust. WD40 has a high percentage of stoddard solvent(mineral spirits.) And a lower percentage of mineral oil. So in theory, initially it could help to break down gunk and lubricate. But the mineral spirits will take more time to evaporate in deeper crevices. Giving it more time to break down the oils. Leaving those crevices with less oil. And a breeding ground for rust.

Bacon
December 30th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Wax-based lube? I've been running for the past two Winters and have not seen any signs of rust.

no t
December 30th, 2012, 11:25 AM
not that there isn't better stuff out there,but....http://gizmodo.com/5939583/finally-wd%2040-that-wont-ruin-your-bike

rupps5
December 30th, 2012, 06:48 PM
IMO wd-40 is not good for anything besides cleaning. In this kind of weather the best lube I have found is motor oil.

pahillbilly
July 30th, 2013, 02:48 PM
IMO wd-40 is not good for anything besides cleaning. In this kind of weather the best lube I have found is motor oil.
Agreed.

Gregg
July 30th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Motor oil stays wet so it attracts the dust. a dry bike lube is best for dry conditions. The wax based lube work really well this time of year too.

khapkaos
August 1st, 2013, 08:06 PM
I use WD40 to spray my chain clean after a ride (if I'm not at home and can't use the degreaser to clean the chain); then lube with Finish Line. Works so well I am still have an old GT RTS-2 (over 3500 miles on it) with stock chain from 1997 - which I would be confident to ride today. Just saying...

IAMCLOUS
August 5th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Rupps, you would be proud of me. Found myself in a situation where I had time to ride but the chain had turned light orange after a trip on back of the car through the rain. No lube on hand and time was running out.....Turned to my spare motor oil container in the trunk and away I went. Made it through 60 miles or so of gravel/pavement with no huge dirt build up. Degreased it today and put on my "normal lube". Motor oil is not my new go to lube, but it made those miles possible! As far as WD-40 goes, that was what I used when I was younger, poorer and even dumber than I am now. I do remember lots of overspray and temporary tattoos on my right leg!

rupps5
August 14th, 2013, 12:47 PM
I could have used the motor oil at the West Branch race. Synlube wore off by the 3rd lap or so.

FastEd
August 14th, 2013, 01:38 PM
The ProGold ProLink is running fairly clean but it doesn't seem to have much longevity though.

rupps5
August 14th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Ed, I agree with you on the pro gold. In dry conditions out west it lasted about 25 to30 miles out of a 40 mile mtb ride. I do like it fir my road bike though

tlist
August 14th, 2013, 08:49 PM
I'm going to try frog lube clp which is a dry lube paste meant for gun parts. It is designed to repel dirt and moisture. It smells minty fresh.