PDA

View Full Version : When will we get electronic shifting on MTB?

Gregg
December 23rd, 2012, 06:34 PM
I just had my first ride on my new Giant Defy with Di2 shifting. With less effort than clicking a ballpoint pen I can shift front chain rings, jump rear shifts while standing. Nearly noiseless, perfect shifting. The whole ride, I keep asking myself why doesn't my mountain bike have this technology? No more frayed or broken cables, self contained, system devoid of dirt, grit, debris.

The battery took 90 minutes to charge from empty and will last more than 1,000 road miles. How great would it be to have the same thumb shifting for both up and down the rear cassette? Switch front rings with the flick of your finger? Now, I can see that for some, the inability to jump multiple gears with one push is a nuisance. I accept the trade-off for the other benefits, gladly. Full disclosure; I have some nerve issues in my hands that prevent me from finger full extension and reduced strength, so push button solves a very big issue for me.

Still I'll bet that the combination of type 2 derailleurs (with a clutch system) and electronic shifting in mountain bikes with be a big game changer for frame design and overall reduced maintenance for the drivetrain. Forget shifter cables, eliminate friction points from severe cable routing bends; all kinds of crazy suspension and frame configuration come to market. I'll be at the front of the line for electronic mountain bike shifting.

rupps5
December 23rd, 2012, 07:43 PM
People are already modding the ones you have to work on mtb

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/electronic-shifting-year-enduro-racing-823201.html

Gregg
December 23rd, 2012, 08:26 PM
I've read that too but I'm waiting on Shimano. The benefits seem even greater on MTB than road so just the contamination issue alone. No more gummed up cabling! Maybe the little motor can't handle mud?

Kuttermax
June 16th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Resurrecting this thread.

Can't agree more that electronic shifting on a MTB bike will be a huge game changer. Having perfect shifts under load with auto-trim adjustment will be very, very cool.

While some conversion kits are around (http://www.ki2bike.com/), I'm surprised we haven't seen something on the market yet from Shimano. Hopefully something will emerge soon.

FastEd
June 17th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Is it really need with the growing popularity of the 1x11 systems? Frankly, I surprised Shimano hasn't countered SRAM with a similar single chainring system. Maybe they'll match that with an electronic derailleur to one-up SRAM.

Kuttermax
June 20th, 2013, 06:57 PM
You raise a great point with the 1x11 setups. Had it been available a year and a half ago, probably would have gone with that over my current 2x10. Still think though that an electronic system would generate a lot of interest for MTB.

FastEd
June 20th, 2013, 07:14 PM
I just converted to 1x10 using a Wolf Tooth Components 32T chainring. It's a similar design to SRAM's narrow-wide-narrow pattern. Plus, it was very simple to install.

brushman
June 20th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Electronic shifting over-rated. Many pros (cx/roadies) staying with mechanical.

Gregg
June 20th, 2013, 08:08 PM
I have been using electronic on my new road bike all this year.

Not one adjustment
No goofed shifts
No contamination to clean or cables to lube.
It simply works perfect all the time.

Now a racer may need to throw a few gears in a fraction of a second but for us mortals, it is fantastic.

One excellent reason that I don't see mentioned is all the new frame ideas that could occur without worrying about cable routing.

If you haven't tried it, you really have an uninformed opinion.

Kuttermax
August 5th, 2013, 06:35 PM
I just converted to 1x10 using a Wolf Tooth Components 32T chainring. It's a similar design to SRAM's narrow-wide-narrow pattern. Plus, it was very simple to install.

Now that you've been running this for a couple of months - how are you finding the conversion? Chain staying on? Finding the gear range adequate? Any difficulties with longer climbs such as the climb after the covered bridge at Mohican?

FastEd
August 5th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Now that you've been running this for a couple of months - how are you finding the conversion? Chain staying on? Finding the gear range adequate? Any difficulties with longer climbs such as the climb after the covered bridge at Mohican?

I've only dropped the chain once and I attribute that to rider error. I peddled backwards during a rough section to reposition my cranks.

Yesterday we road Great Seal and there were some times I was wishing for a lower gear. Mohican wasn't terrible but not easy either. One thing I learned is you can't get slowed down by riders spinning lower gears. It makes it even harder climbing.

Kuttermax
August 23rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
I've only dropped the chain once and I attribute that to rider error. I peddled backwards during a rough section to reposition my cranks.

Yesterday we road Great Seal and there were some times I was wishing for a lower gear. Mohican wasn't terrible but not easy either. One thing I learned is you can't get slowed down by riders spinning lower gears. It makes it even harder climbing.

Question: With a 2x10 XO setup, one should be able to switch over to an XX1 rear derailleur, shifter, chain, and cassette (and hub adapter if needed), and then leave the XO crank but put the Wolf Tooth rings on it? From what I can see on their website it should work well with an XX1 chain.

Kuttermax
May 31st, 2014, 11:47 PM
Looks like its here...

http://twentynineinches.com/2014/05/30/shimano-debuts-xtr-m9050-di2-group/

First ride impressions at Bike Radar:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/groupset/groupset-mountain/product/review-shimano-xtr-di2-48474/

Kuttermax
August 25th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Detailed write up at Bikerumor.com. Sounds pretty slick.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/08/24/first-impressions-shimano-xtr-di2-mechanical-mountain-bike-groups/