PDA

View Full Version : Front Derailluer adjustments

joshlong
August 7th, 2015, 08:07 AM
I have recently built up a bike for my first time. It is a KHS XC204 and I am having issues getting the front derailluer set up properly. The problem I am having is that the derailluer does not seem to extend out far enough to get me to the large chain ring. When I adjust the high limits all the way out it still is not quite far enough to actually shift into the large CR. I feel like there is something I am missing and it could be a really simple fix, but I am not sure. The derailluer is a brand new Shimano Deore, which is what this frame would have came with from the factory. The only other thing I could think of is that I also installed a new XTR BB and maybe I got the spacers wrong? I installed 1 spacer on the left side and 2 on the right side.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

-Josh

fordohio
August 7th, 2015, 01:42 PM
What is the model # of the front derailleur? There are some front derailleurs that are only made for 2 front chain rings.

joshlong
August 7th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Fd-m590 is the number.

fordohio
August 7th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Ok I think that derailleur should be ok for a 3 ring mtb setup. Did you measure the width of the frames bottom bracket mount? Usually you should install the spacers based off that width. But I have moved the spacers trying to get the chain line the way I wanted it. I'm not strong enough to run 3 rings so I have never had the exact problem you are.

joshlong
August 8th, 2015, 01:25 AM
I don't have anything to measure the frame in mm so I measured in inches and converted it. So is it ok to have the spacers oriented different as long as I use all the recommended ones.

fordohio
August 8th, 2015, 11:57 AM
I have move the spacers around before. I just don't think you can eliminate them.

joshlong
August 10th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Ok I may try to swap the spacers around if I can't come up with anything else. Thanks