PDA

View Full Version : Fox Fork: F29 RL 32

Kevstell
August 26th, 2014, 12:21 PM
2010 Fox F29 RL 32 Fork:
Just Replaced Dust Wipers and Foam Rings. I added 30mL (of Fox Green 10 wt.) to the Spring side and 160 mL to the Rebound side per Oil Volumes Table: http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/oil_volumes.htm
and actually verifying this through Fox. The problem that I am having is that there is a little “play” when I pull up on the bars, or essentially when the fork is at full extension. I called Fox again, and the Tech said I was running too much air pressure. He said it should only be 115-120 psi max. I have run it higher in the past and never experienced this issue. Any suggestions?

rupps5
August 27th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Not sure what you mean by play. Is it up and down or back and forth play.

What do you weigh? 115 is a lot of pressure. I weigh 155 and have the fork set at 65 psi

Kevstell
August 28th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I am referring to Play as related to Sag. (If I were to pull up on the bars...so...up and down) It returns rather quickly.
I weigh about 225#. A LBS recomended 1/2 your body weight + 10 psi.

rupps5
August 28th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Looks like 110 is about right for your weight according to the Fox chart.

Does the lockout work?

Kevstell
September 8th, 2014, 01:26 PM
I guess the lockout works. I don't use it much, if at all. When engaged there is minimal movement, but that is with me pushing down on it.

rupps5
September 8th, 2014, 01:44 PM
With that much pressure in the fork I would change the dampening fluid to 5wt more than what you use now. So if you are using 10 weight dampening fluid I would try 15wt. This is to try and match the damper speed with the air pressure. If you run high spring pressure and a light dampener fluid it will top out hard.

wheatgerm
September 8th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Couple things.. does your rebound damping work? Try adjusting it. Perhaps you backed the rebound out all the way full speed (though at full speed, it really shouldn't clunk). If everything worked fine before the rebuild, then I tend to think something went wrong during the rebuild.

Also, if you call Fox and get a garbage answer like this technician gave you, call again and hopefully get a better tech. Some are really good, some not so much, some are terrible.

wheatgerm
September 8th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Also, while its been several years since I've serviced on open bath Fox, I recently serviced an open bath Marzocchi and I had to pump the damper rod seemingly a thousand times to work out the air and work in the oil. Until I did that, damping was messed up.