PDA

View Full Version : 1x10 w/42T sprocket...

Bacon
March 2nd, 2014, 11:46 AM
If any of you are running a 1x10 set-up and need that little extra climbing gear, I highly recommend the OneUp Components 42t Sprocket. At $100, it's about 10% of the cost of upgrading to an XX1 system. Works great, and I lost only the 17t cog as the trade-off. Super easy install.
The Mohican "FU" be damned! Can't wait to try it out there.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3786/12881138954_615f9cd2c7_b.jpg

stilesp
March 3rd, 2014, 01:08 PM
I've been following the threads on mtbr and seems like mixed reviews on the shifting performance. Do you think the shifting is still pretty good? I think some people are overly critical and sometimes notices changes that aren't there......I'm not a sensitive rider sometimes I do a full lap at alum and then notice I had my fork locked out.

Bacon
March 3rd, 2014, 01:51 PM
You'll notice I am running an 'average' SLX derailleur out back. Shifting with this unit has never been lightning fast (the clutch also slows shifting down a bit as well). However, it's been fine for my needs. I notice no difference jumping to the 42T cog. The obvious change is I have a better climbing gear. So my mission was accomplished. Time and use will tell...
Sounds like this may be the solution for you if you find yourself needing that extra oomph on those massive climbs.

stilesp
March 3rd, 2014, 03:16 PM
I'm running the ancient 3x9 now and was considering xx1 or x01 though I've never been a Sram fan and would also need a hub upgrade it's like buying a new bike. I'm thinking 1x10, xtr derail,xt cassette,xtr shifter and reuse my xtr crankset with some wide/narrow ring is very appealing which is why I've been following the 42t threads. I keep hearing that absolute black is coming out with a 40t as well which would be another option.

I rarely get out of the middle ring now except at Mohican of course so it seems to make sense. I've also considered skipping the 42t and just having the 11-36 and mount a 32 or 34 104bcd and a 28t or 30t 64bcd for when I go to mohican. I could easily just switch it mid ride or not as I get stronger later in the season.

Bacon
March 3rd, 2014, 03:33 PM
Previous set-up was 11-36 cassette and 32T ring. I am now running a 30T Race Face Narrow-Wide up front. Cassette in the rear is now: 11-12-14-18-21-24-28-32-36-42t. Seems to be the right combo for the trails I ride.
Since I am running a clutch derailleur and Narrow-Wide ring, I pulled the chain guide off. That thing was nothing more than a mud collector.