PDA

View Full Version : Chain Question

rrteds
December 5th, 2013, 11:41 PM
So I think I've been taking my chain for granted. I am running a 2x9 Sram setup and not a weight weeny. Can someone recommend a good chain. I broke mine at Ray's tonight and almost bought the $50 replacement but thought I would look into this first. This might be the 3rd time I've broken this chain and it's just too small at this point. I'm a big guy…need a burley chain. Thanks all

Gregg
December 6th, 2013, 06:20 AM
More likely it's your cross chaining too much. Big chain ring and big cog or small chain ring and small cog can lead to premature chain breakage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

trainwreck
December 6th, 2013, 11:08 AM
you were riding a Foes? i think you'll might run into the issue of your drivetrain being worn as well? new chains don't typically play well with worn chainrings and cogs. but to answer your question. sram chains have worked best for me. yeah and fifty bucks seems a bit pricey to me

rrteds
December 7th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Yep - that was me. After reading some stuff, I think my chain was too small. I've taken a few too many links off and it was crunching. We'll see! Thanks for the feedback

grannygeargnome
December 16th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Yep - that was me. After reading some stuff, I think my chain was too small. I've taken a few too many links off and it was crunching. We'll see! Thanks for the feedback

Run your chain around your big chain ring up front and your largest cog cassette in the rear and ADD two links.