View Poll Results: How do you feel about runners, hikers, walkers using our trail?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • The more the merrier!

7 21.88%
  • Meh, I could care less, they don't bother me.

17 53.13%
  • I think they are a hazard and wish they'd run elsewhere.

2 6.25%
  • This is a bike trail, built by riders for riding only!

6 18.75%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Runners on the Alum Creek trails, OK or not OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    The same day the donation box went in at P1, we installed one right next tot he kiosk on P2. The P1 box is certainly getting more donations. It hard to beleive the P2 box is difficult to see as it is actually a bit in front of the kiosk. No option to move it either without a backhoe, we used a lot of concrete...
    Good to know, I will look for it next time. Thanks!

Jlake
    I'm fine with sharing the trail, IF the contribute to maintaining the trails and yield to the bikes. They can run anywhere, we have limited access to park trails.

camber29
    I have not had any problems with runners without dogs and I don't care if they are out on the trail. However, I have had to stop quite a few times for runners who think it is a good idea for their dogs to be off the leash. I actually had one dog run up to me from the woods and stop in front of me causing me to go off the trail and fall over. Very frustrating!

My only issue has been with dogs not on a leash. Every runner I have encountered has been very gracious and I always thank them when they step off the trail. I do like them going the opposite direction as well. Can anything be done to encourage people to have dogs on a leash? Someone or a dog is going to get hurt from a wreck IMHO

BG13
    I appreciate this topic being discussed. I live in between P1 and P2 and participate in half marathon, 25K, full marathon, and 50K trail runs. There is a huge difference in running and training for trail runs vs. normal, paved surface runs. Huge. I have not yet run on your trails but eyeball them every time I drive past. I am glad to hear that the overall experience is that the running community is courteous and submits to your right of way. For what it is worth, unleashed dogs are just as annoying and hazardous to runners as they are to people on bikes. "Hey, let me go ahead and come to a complete stop / veer 12 feet off the trail so that Sparky can have a great afternoon!" And I love dogs/am a dog owner but time and place.

I've got a 25K this Saturday through the woods and hills at Mohican. After that, though, I'll probably start running the Alum Trails----clockwise. What is an adequate donation to make for trail maintenance? I'll happily contribute. Furthermore, I'll participate in trail maintenance days if necessary. Like I said, I live very close to both and it is only right if I use them. The neighborhood in which I live actually has a private trail that runs through it and I am the "trail master" that maintains it.

Anyhow, thanks again.

Evanw
    I have never had a negative interaction with a runner. But when Specialized was doing one of it's demo days on P1, I almost hit one. It was the one they did in late August I think. I was absolutely railing on one of the carbon Stumpjumper FSR's. I was nearing the end of the trail to where it comes to a long, sweeping right hander that's bordered heavily by trees, and is totally blind. I took that corner as fast as I could and just barely noticed out the corner of my right eye a runner had ducked into the trees just as I was going by. I'm guessing he heard me coming because there's no way he could have seen me. I shudder to think what would happen had he had headphones on. Startled me pretty good and I yelled back an apology. But that could have been pretty nasty.

I think they have every right to be there. But I just wonder WHY they want to use a trail for bikers. There are some very fast dudes that ride these trails and it just seems to me like not being worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by BG13 View Post
    <snip>
    I'll probably start running the Alum Trails----clockwise. What is an adequate donation to make for trail maintenance? I'll happily contribute. Furthermore, I'll participate in trail maintenance days if necessary. </snip>
    Speaking as someone who usually attends trail maintenance days, I think you should do both. :-) If you do choose, tho,working on trail maintenance is very much satisfying as you can see the results of your work, PLUS make new friends!
    Walker Powell
    COMBO Board Member
    National Mountain Bike Patroller

Niner Kool-Aid club
    OhioSingletrack admin team

Rhunt
    I agree about signs advising on the direction of travel for runners.

As for more runners next year, you can count on it - trail running is all the rage right now. If their user group gets too large for the mt bike trails then they will need to appeal to the state park to build their own trails just like the mt bike group did.

osu1978
    Never had a bad experience with the runners but I can't believe how their usage of the Alum MTB trails has increased over the last couple years. Like the previous poster mentioned, trail running seems to be the new thing right now and my guess is its only going to get more popular. Because of this I think we need to limit the trails to MTB only or we could have a real traffic problem down the road.

I saw this today and thought it could be relevent to this thread.

http://premierraces.com/rocks%20&%20...urse%20map.pdf
    Last edited by fordohio; November 10th, 2012 at 01:28 PM.

I would be pretty impressed if someone could run 50k at Alum Creek. That's five laps!

Quote Originally Posted by fordohio View Post
    I saw this today and thought it could be relevent to this thread.

http://premierraces.com/rocks%20&%20...urse%20map.pdf

Runners on the Alum Creek trails, OK or not OK?

Actually there are people that run a full lap or even laps at MSP. That is serious running.
    pick yourself up and keep riding

COMBO Vice President

I have a quick edit for that flyer...
    Quote Originally Posted by PremierRaces
    WARNING: The Rocks & Roots Trail Series is aptly
    named as there are a LOT of rocks and roots. You
    will encounter stream crossings, angry fat bikers, Rocks & Roots
    are likely to be covered by leaves and or mud.
    J/K. I have nothing against runners on the trail. Every one I've encountered has been very nice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information