Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ohio Erie Canal

Ohio Erie Canal

status unknown
    Gregg Soster
    National Mountain Bike Patroller

I just looked for directions on the website and cannot find them. Try this http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...1_4569crx.aspx I sure miss CAMBA's old website. More user friendly.

couple puddles but dry. i removed two big trees that i could push, but a big tree is down just after the steep little climb at the bottom...before the logover.it is in a spot that is difficult to get around because of the steep bench. will need a chainsaw. oh, and the field is now completely grown over and hard to get through.love them ticks.

In regards to weed whacking, the CMP was not comfortable with me or any other volunteer not going through them seeking approval to touch a trail. I'd been weed whacking that trail for the previous four summers & am a registered CMP volunteer The manager of that park (OECR) said he appreciates it and let me finish the beginner loop. That's why its the only part that has been done this year.
    Higher-ups in CMP want to manage it top-down. So I guess the only thing to do is to complain. I even called it a safety issue--if you can't see, your much more likely to get hurt.

Rode Saturday, was all dry and in good shape. But overgrown is an understatement. The beginning stretch was good, but the section after you go through the fence, it's so thick you can't see where you are going. Once it goes into the woods then it's fine. I was amazed I didn't see any ticks on me afterwards

Weeds are cut back. Loop is in decent shape to ride right now. Very first and last sections are about due for a weedwhacker again though.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Weeds are cut back. Loop is in decent shape to ride right now. Very first and last sections are about due for a weedwhacker again though.
    Who did the wackin'? The park?

I (and nobody from CAMBA) did the weed whacking and, like I mentioned, the park wants to oversee maintenance, so it's a good bet they did.

Loop is near perfect conditions right now except very first section needs weed whacked again. Higher up stuff hanging down too.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Loop is near perfect conditions right now except very first section needs weed whacked again. Higher up stuff hanging down too.
    I was doing most of the pruning. I guess i can't anymore? Time for the top to start managing down. This trail needs constant trimming because it is mostly new growth...no deep woods like bedford or royalview.

Loop is in great shape except for the trimming that needs done. Park people are out there maintaining the rest of that area all the time. Disappointing that the trail is so neglected.

Loop is wet but should be OK in a day or so. Beginner section needs weed-whacked in some places. Rest of the loop is cleaned up.

Whole loop except very first section before going through fence is cleaned up and trimmed back. Should be great conditions by tomorrow.

Trail is in great shape. Some leaves and a few small sticks but over all fast and dry.
    Saw someone trimming the overgrowth on the connector from the parking lot. Thanks

Cool

Rode this Sunday after racing the Gran Prix of Cleveland cyclocross race. Conditions were perfect, hard, dry and fast.

WET. Should probably be OK by the weekend.

Is in great shape, thanks to who ever blew the leaves and trimmed all the weeds back!

It's in good shape today but leafy in places.

Thank's to the "trail fairy" for all of the trimming and such. Trail is nice.

A friend and I rode the main loop a few times on Monday. It was mostly dry and still a little soft. The tail was clear and in good condition except for some FAT tire ruts and foot prints. (Someone needs to tell the fatties that they still cause trail damage!) Fortunately, we were able to pack in 50% of the damage. Given the mostly dry weather over the past two days, it is probably worth checking out today. More riders would probably do the trail more good than harm if it's still soft enough to pack in the rest of the ruts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information