Thread: Phase 2 banked turn nice, log removal not so much

rigidjunkie

Phase 2 banked turn nice, log removal not so much

The improved banked turn is really nice, you can actually fly around that corner now. Thanks for fixing it.

Now whoever cut this log out needs their head checked because it was on a flat area plenty of momentum and now there is a small ditch that will retain water right across the trail. The crappy old log after the banked turn should be removed, yet this one is cut out.

log.jpg

If you don't want to lift your front wheel 7 inches why not just ride the bike paths or roads?

I cut out that log. It was the only way two guys could haul in the wood and haul out the old stuff, so it's my fault it's cut out. We had to get our wheeled equipment through somewhere and that was the only route wide enough that existed.

We hauled in a pickup truck load of wood and not just the stuff you see, plus hauled out every scrap of the old wood plus other material too. Now add tools and equipment to actually do the job. Oh and it was just +100 degree heat index too. I looked around a few times and didn't see you anywhere?

If you don't like it. Come to the next work day and share how you would have handled it differently. The problem with Monday morning quarterbacks is they are always right there with you after the job is finished.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Gregg Soster
    National Mountain Bike Patroller

Big Terry
    Well said, Gregg.

Mark Newton
    COMBO
    I would like to report a root in the trail, this root has slowed me down on numerous occasions, surely making me miss the fastest time on the fast laps race.

My skill level is such that that root makes the probability of me falling much higher. To hell with skill; i need groomed singletrack to ride.

I appreciate all the time and effort used to maintain the trails, all I am asking is that you remove all the remaining roots and rollover logs so that I can get a better time and will not wreck.

I still cant figure out how to get over those things;perhaps combo could do a skills course as i am sure this would help me.

Anyways, thanks again for all the effort that the club does for the trail system in central ohio, you guys are all great!!

See you all on the trail, hopefully i will not wreck and i will post a fast time on phase 2.

BTW, that repair on the banked turn is awesome!

In general, we only remove something that is failing and/or in danger of breaking under a rider (like the old banked turn), something that violates our insurance policy (like the old teeter-totter) or something in the way during a build process (like the log-over before the banked turn). I agree that P2 is sterilized, not becoming but already is sterilized.

FYI- I think we need to cut out the first log pile in the triple log pile section between I and J. So save the complaining. It's been there for over 10 years and has had a good life. Mother Nature will "donate" new material I'm sure. In fact, there is a new and much larger log pile just waiting for the fall building season when temps dip to a non-swelter.
    Gregg Soster

giantrider
    The response to rigidjunkie seems a little harsh to me even though he could have voiced his concern in a much better way. I wonder if rigidjunkie is a dues paying COMBO member? I wonder if he has ever donated to COMBO? I wonder if he has ever influenced anyone else to become a mt. biker or to join COMBO? If so, I wonder if he would do any of those things again? A simple explanation would have worked without taking shots (mon. morn QB). Then maybe he would have been left feeling guilty for the way he worded his post or just looked like a moron to everyone who read his post. Now a few people look like morons.

Mark Newton
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    I general, we only remove something that is failing and in danger of breaking under a rider (like the old banked turn), something that violates our insurance policy (like the old teeter-totter) or something in the way during a build process (like the log-over before the banked turn). I agree that P2 is sterilized, not becoming but already is sterilized.

FYI- I think we need to cut out the first log pile in the triple log pile section between I and J. So save the complaining. It's been there for over 10 years and has had a good life. Mother Nature will "donate" new material I'm sure. In fact, there is a new and much larger log pile just waiting for the fall building season when temps dip to a non-swelter.
    yes that root that was right after that first rollover has been throwing people for years...much too hot to consider such a thing now unless it is a safety issue.

Wow you guys did that in the heat of last week? thanks again!

Mark Newton

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by giantrider View Post
    The response to rigidjunkie seems a little harsh to me even though he could have voiced his concern in a much better way. I wonder if rigidjunkie is a dues paying COMBO member? I wonder if he has ever donated to COMBO? I wonder if he has ever influenced anyone else to become a mt. biker or to join COMBO? If so, I wonder if he would do any of those things again? A simple explanation would have worked without taking shots (mon. morn QB). Then maybe he would have been left feeling guilty for the way he worded his post or just looked like a moron to everyone who read his post. Now a few people look like morons.
    Are you calling us morons? How nice is that? I don't even know you; manners please.

Only my friends can call me a moron, and you sir, are not my friend...

giantrider
    I apologize for my lack of professionalism. Then again I'm not the president of an organization that counts on members(voices), dues, and donations to keep the wheels rolling.

It wouldn't be too difficult to roll the log back on to the trail and anchor it into place.

Gregg, is there any reason RigidJunkie, Mark & Giantrider couldn't team up to put it back in place? I think Mark has built a little bit of trail and could lead the project.

In terms of the roots, we are looking into who is removing them but they are not supported by COMBO.
    Ed Braunbeck
    COMBO Board Member
    National Mountain Bike Patrol

Have at it guys, I intentionally left the cut out segment long in case we wanted to put it back in. I do notice that quite a few riders were creating their own route to the right to not ride the log or the banked turn, yeah I know...
    Gregg Soster

Well there you go. Keep us posted so we can update riders on the forum and Facebook. Pictures are always cool too!

Thanks,
    Ed Braunbeck
    COMBO Board Member

I hit the new banked turn for the first time today. Kudos to the builders--you guys did a great job! It flows much better than the previous version, which I was never really able to get a smooth line around.

Thanks!

I just rode the banked turn for the first time since the rebuild, and can't believe how much better it is! like many others have said, I never really got along with the old one, but wow, it just flows great! I turned around the first time and re-rode it! now about that missing log over...

I also had a turn on the new and improved banked turn. Very nice work! It even spits fat guys out with more speed.

Re: Phase 2 banked turn nice, log removal not so much

:thumbup: +1 for the improved banked turn helping us fat guys. We need all the boost we can get!

Many thanks to those who fixed/improved the banked turn. It rolls so fast now.

Is there an official trail work schedule somewhere? I'd like to get out and help maintain/improve the trails I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by sidewards View Post
    Many thanks to those who fixed/improved the banked turn. It rolls so fast now.

Is there an official trail work schedule somewhere? I'd like to get out and help maintain/improve the trails I enjoy.
    You can find scheduled trail days on the Calendar page of OST or the COMBO Facebook page of Events.
    Ed Braunbeck
    COMBO Board Member

Thread Information