Thread: Chain Lube

Chain Lube

Ok, here is a topic that I'm sure will spur some discussion. What is your favorite chain lube?

I've been using White Lightning Clean Ride for a while. I chose it last year for my SRAM XO 2x10 set up because of the dry, dusty conditions we had last summer. It seemed to work well but I had some concerns it was wearing off on longer rides.

I'm thinking of switch to T9, which should stay on the chain longer but offer similar properties. One criticism of T9 is that is can attack some plastics with continued exposure, but with careful application I don't think it should be a problem.

I'm interested in hearing what others are using and why. Chain-L seems like a nice long lasting wet lube. Pedros Go and Synlube also seem like quality products. Rock N Roll Gold and Extreme had also been highly regarded by some riders.
    Last edited by Kuttermax; June 18th, 2013 at 07:39 PM.

Here's what I've tried recently:

ProGold ProLube - It seems to soak into the chain really well especially if you let it sit over night. The chain stays amazing clean even on dusty trails. The drivetrain runs well but I'm inclined to lube it more frequently because the chain feels dry. Works well on the road bike too.

Pedros SynLube - A very thick lube that turns black after a ride. Even after wiping clean after a ride, the black seems to repair again. Terrible for road the road bike.

Pedros IceWax - Good for winter or nasty conditions use. It's so think I'd recommend storing in a warm place in the winter. When applying it, I've found it's best to put the lube on and then work it into the chain with your finger.
    Ed Braunbeck
    COMBO Board Member
    National Mountain Bike Patrol

I tried tri flow. I didnt care for it. Really thin. and it turned black and dirt seemed to stick to it.

I use chainsaw bar oil now. A quart will last forever. Thicker. I can watch it soak into the chain. After rides chain always looks clean. And when I wipe it down with rag. The rag is pretty clean.

Maxima chain wax or bell Ray chain lube if its getting dusty. Same things I use on my dirt bike.

Goto VeloNews & search chain lube, there are a couple of articles about chain lube tests by Leonard Zinn (who is a good read anytime).

Goto VeloNews & search chain lube, there are a couple of articles about chain lube tests by Leonard Zinn (who is a good read anytime). I'm rock n roll extreme (blue) most of the time sometimes try-flow spray in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by furball View Post
    Goto VeloNews & search chain lube, there are a couple of articles about chain lube tests by Leonard Zinn (who is a good read anytime). I'm rock n roll extreme (blue) most of the time sometimes try-flow spray in the winter.
    Thanks - lots of interesting information there.

Just because I'm a bit of gear head I decided to try a couple of things.

For my road bike, I cleaned the chain and drive train and decided to give T9 a go. I was careful to not get it onto parts other than the drivetrain. I let it set overnight and took it for ride. Seemed very good but will see how it holds up.

For my mountain bike, I cleaned the entire drive train last night and then applied Rock N Roll Gold. After wiping the excess, I let it set overnight. Will see how it holds up over the next few weeks.

Just an update to the thread.

I rode Mohican last weekend after applying the Rock N Roll Gold ahead of time. The chain and the shifting were nice and smooth with little noise. It wasn't that dust but the chain stayed clean. Only one ride but initial impression is good.

Re: Chain Lube

Just used some 90/140 valvoline full synthetic on my chain for the dillon race and it worked great for the 30 or so miles. I think it might go even further. .. needs more testing
    jeff

Friends don't let friends sanitize the trails!

Thread Information