Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vultures Knob

Vultures Knob

Be sure to regularly check out and post the conditions of the Mohican trail under the "Trail Conditions" tab above. I will also try to post the things I find on the trail in this thread also.
    Last edited by paddlesandchains; December 22nd, 2012 at 08:01 PM.

Trees Down Between Miles 2 and 7

I rode from 1-8 and back the short loop cutoff this afternoon. To say I spent a lot of time off the bike moving branches and sticks from the trail would be a huge understatement. I cleared all I could, but there are 3 trees down that need a chainsaw. One is around 2.5 - 2.75. Another is just before the double track leading to PC 10. The other is at mile 7.

1 - 8 Clear

The trees that were down out to mile 8 have been cleared. Post if there are other issues.

Christmas Morning Ride

Four of us met to ride this morning. We rode to 8 and back the cutoff. It's a great way to kick off Christmas day! The trail was in pretty good shape. Slippery/ice-covered roots, but what do you expect at the end of December in Ohio, right?

Warming Up and Thawing Out

We had a good ride Wednesday night with the Kim's Bikes Wednesday Night Group Ride. A few did the short loop, and some went to 4 and back. At the time, the trail had some ice in the center of it, which made staying in the center of the trail difficult at times, but it wasn't impassible. The short loop cut off was nice and clear. It has been nice and warm here the past few days, so I expect the trial will be closer to being melted tomorrow. Especially if tomorrow gets as warm as they are claiming, 63 degrees. Oh Yeah!

Thawed out but Tress Down

A few of us rode from 8-15 today. There were a few spots that definitely need to drain better. We made notes of those and plan to fix them in the near future. Unfortunately, we found three trees down that need attention. One is around 9 1/4, one is around 10 1/2, and one is around 12 3/4ish.

Even More Trees Down

One of our members rode the full loop yesterday. He found more trees down outside the area the rest of us rode. Here is what he said, "Rode the full loop today. I think I counted 6 trees. Past 9 on a down hill section before you come to a small bridge. 1 more about a mile later, one just before 13, 1 around 17, 1 around 18 and one that was movable around 23. The trail was in great shape even at 24."

Trail Head 2 - 19

Ten of us rode from trail head 2 to 19 and back to TH 2 last night for the Kim's Bikes Wednesday Night Group Ride. It was a really good ride both directions. There are a few spots on that section that we want to work on a bit to make them drain a bit better, but all-in-all, it was a nice dry section of trail.

Pretty Good

We were out working on the trail today, and everywhere we went, the trail was pretty solid. There were a few soft spots, but nothing horrible. We saw a lot of riders go past, and all of them appeared clean. They didn't appear to have ridden through any mud that could get thrown up on them. They are calling for rain in the area tonight and tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.

Re: Trail Conditions : Mohican Mountain Bike Trail

I was out there today too, as stated, trails were tacky dirt to dry but there were a half dozen soft/muddy areas or so in 24 miles... Great day out there!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Anyone been out to Mohican lately and can comment on trail conditions? We've finally had a stretch of drier and warmer weather and was planning to ride at Mohican on Sat afternoon. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GranvilleGravel View Post
    Anyone been out to Mohican lately and can comment on trail conditions? We've finally had a stretch of drier and warmer weather and was planning to ride at Mohican on Sat afternoon. Thanks.
    Went there on Wednesday. The freeze/thaw made it a little sloppy in the morning in the first few miles. Overall it was in good shape. Once it stays warm enough not to freeze overnight, it will be perfect.

The pipeline crew still have trail closed on weekdays from 16-19. Should be open on the weekends

Five of us went out to ride Mohican SP yesterday and found 24 miles of glorious, flowy singletrack. I just wanted to give a shout out to all the trail elves who have obviously been out there working hard; the fallen trees had all been removed and there were several points of rebuilding/armouring. Thanks all! The trail is in awesome shape.

BTW - We did log a few hours of trail building & bench cutting early yesterday morning at Lobdell Reserve in Licking County. We have a ways to go before that system goes public, but it will be a nice addition to mid-Ohio riding areas.
    Last edited by GranvilleGravel; April 7th, 2013 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GranvilleGravel View Post

BTW - We did log a few hours of trail building & bench cutting early yesterday morning at Lobdell Reserve in Licking County. We have a ways to go before that system goes public, but it will be a nice addition to mid-Ohio riding areas.
    Where is this located in Licking Co.?

The Lobdell Reserve is just a mile outside (Northeast) of Alexandria, OH. http://www.lickingparkdistrict.com/lobdellReserve.html. There are numerous mowed horse paths now which can be "explored" on a mountain bike. The dedicated singled track is still under construction.

Was going to ride at Vulture's Knob Saturday, but with the recent rain I figured Mohican would be a safer bet. Only have time to do about a 10-14 mile stretch, any suggestions on a good way to accomplish this? I have only ridden Mohican one other time

endo
    Mike, there is a large group of riders meeting at Mohican Adventures to do a group ride on Saturday. Ride beginning sharply at 11 am. There will be multiple groups doing a variety of distance. Best bet is to join up with us and have some fun. There will even be a "trailgator" after the ride with food and raffle. several local bike shops will also be there.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Mike, there is a large group of riders meeting at Mohican Adventures to do a group ride on Saturday. Ride beginning sharply at 11 am. There will be multiple groups doing a variety of distance. Best bet is to join up with us and have some fun. There will even be a "trailgator" after the ride with food and raffle. several local bike shops will also be there.
    I noticed this was going on, but unfortunately I have to hit the trails around sunrise and only have a couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by mike0o2 View Post
    Was going to ride at Vulture's Knob Saturday, but with the recent rain I figured Mohican would be a safer bet. Only have time to do about a 10-14 mile stretch, any suggestions on a good way to accomplish this? I have only ridden Mohican one other time
    Start with miles 1-8, then on the way back take the short loop back to the campground entrance. If you are really short on time, you can just take the campground road out.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    Start with miles 1-8, then on the way back take the short loop back to the campground entrance. If you are really short on time, you can just take the campground road out.
    Looks like a good plan (I should have checked the map). That is exactly what I was looking for, thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information