Thread: Mohican Wilderness

Mohican Wilderness

Hello everyone,

I hope to use this thread as a way to communicate with club members and the rest of the world about recent news and events concerning Mohican Malabar Bike Club. Ideally, this will become the thread people look to to learn about what is going on with MMBC and the Mohican mountain bike trail. I intend to create a separate thread for actual trail conditions for the Mohican trail and encourage everyone to keep everyone updated. Regardless of whether you are a club member or not, feel free to post on either forum.

So, lets get this started. Last week, following the Kim's Bikes Wednesday Night Group Ride, we had a club meeting and discussed several topics. Concerning the trail, we talked about possible short reroutes around some problem areas and improving traction on some slippery areas. We also discussed possible new trail options and new membership options. Plans were made for future group rides, and they are as follows: Christmas morning ride, 8am (short loop, 4 and back, something like that) meet at class A paved lot; New Year's day ride, full loop meet at class A paved lot at 9am. LOL, yes, it is assumed the New Year's ride will be brutal, LOL.

We will have another club meeting Wednesday, Jan. 9th at 8pm at Kim's Bikes following the Kim's Bikes Wednesday Night Group Ride. We encourage all club members to attend the meeting and everyone to join us for the group ride.

We would like to thank Kim's Bikes for everything they have done to help the club and biking in the Mohican area. Often times, they provide us with a venue (and food) for a delicious meal and beverages following the Kim's Bikes Wednesday Night Group Ride, a place for meetings, and all around support for the club and trail. We encourage everyone to check out the Group Ride; it's really sweet to see the trail at night. I would also like to encourage more people to become members of MMBC; you can sign up here at Ohiosingletrack.com.

Thanks for reading and posting, and please check back often for new updates.
    Last edited by paddlesandchains; December 22nd, 2012 at 07:15 PM.

Christmas Morning Ride Time Changed

The Christmas morning ride has been changed to 8am. It is no longer starting at 7; it is now starting at 8. Same location as previously posted.

Christmas Morning Ride

Four of us met to ride this morning. We rode to 8 and back the cutoff. It's a great way to kick off Christmas day! The trail was in pretty good shape. Slippery/ice-covered roots, but what do you expect at the end of December in Ohio, right?

Don't forget the Kim's Bikes Wednesday Night Ride tomorrow. I wish I could make it, but my Christmas extends into that time. Have fun, all.

We had a fun but tough ride Wed night, made it to mm1, hiking our bikes most of the way up... but we had a fun ride back down.

I can't wait for the New Years Day ride, we'll kick its ass, or something...

Notes from the 1/9 Meeting

We had a good ride Wednesday night with the Kim's Bikes Wednesday Night Group Ride. A few did the short loop, and some went to 4 and back. We also had a great meal afterward at Kim's Bikes. We even managed to fit a club meeting in there.

From the meeting:

Next club meeting is Wednesday the 18th at Kim's at 8pm after the group ride.

Tomorrow, Saturday the 12th, we will be doing trail maintenance to improve some traction on some crossings. We are meeting at Group Camp at 1pm. Bring a hammer if you can help.

We also discussed club bylaws, new trail possibilities, and memberships.

Report from Trail Day

We added some traction to the two crossings between 6 & 7 today. Thanks to all those who came out to help. It was a pretty quick task, but it should make a pretty big difference. Afterward, a few of us rode from 8-15. There were a few spots that definitely need to drain better. We made notes of those and plan to fix them in the near future. Unfortunately, we found three trees down that need attention. One is around 9 1/4, one is around 10 1/2, and one is around 12 3/4ish.

Awesome Ride last night

Ten of us rode from trail head 2 to 19 and back to TH 2 last night for the Kim's Bikes Wednesday Night Group Ride. It was a really good ride both directions. There are a few spots on that section that we want to work on a bit to make them drain a bit better, but all-in-all, it was a nice dry section of trail. Some of us hadn't ridden that section backwards before, and everyone really seemed to like it. It's a nice flowing ride either direction, and riding it at night meant we didn't have to worry about meeting other riders head-on, always a plus.

After the ride, we grabbed Subway and headed over to Kim's bikes. Thanks go out to Josh for the amazing drinks and "dessert" and Kim's for allowing us to chill out.

Hopefully, we'll see you next Wednesday.

Today's Trail Work

We just had a massive trail day! We did a lot of work to fix the wet, muddy spots just before mile 2. We aren't completely done with it, but we accomplished quite a bit. Let us know what you think of it.

We also cut every tree that was across the trail, as far as we know. Let us know if there are others out there that need cut.

Thanks to everyone who came out to help. I think we had 10-15 people in on the project. A huge thanks goes out to Mohican Adventures for helping, supporting our efforts, and providing some materials.

New Public Facebook page for MMBC! Check us out at www.facebook.com/mohicanmalabarbikeclub

We had a great ride last night with Kim's Bikes Wednesday Night Ride. We went out to 8 and finished with great food at Trails End Pizza Co. The trail was nice and dry. It's in pretty nice shape. Hope to see you next Wednesday.

We had another great ride last night with Kim's Bikes Wednesday Night Group Ride. Anyone noticing a theme? Every Wednesday Night Group Ride is a great ride. We rode some of the first part of the MTB 100 and finished with the short loop. The trail is awesome right now. A few minor muddy spots in the last mile, but we have discussed working on that. Possibly on our next trail day, May 19th. Feel free to come out and lend a hand.

I just want to clarify my last post about us riding some on the beginning section of the MTB 100. We had permission from land owners to ride the sections we were rode. Please remember to respect private property and stay off of it. We don't want to upset any land owners and potentially harm the race.

We had an EPIC trail day yesterday! We spent the first four hours working from Discovery Forest to the covered bridge. We fixed the switchbacks leading down to the bridge, fixed some drainage issues, and removed a downed tree that was sticking into the trail. Be sure to get out and ride that section and let us know what you think. Either give us a post on OST or our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/MohicanMalabarBikeClub. After lunch at Trails End, we headed down to clear trees that were on the Mohican Wilderness section of the MTB 100 course. We didn't check all of Wilderness, but the MTB 100 section of it is all clear. We finally finished up the day around 7 p.m. What a day; thanks to everyone who came out to help.

News & Updates

Sounds like great job done guys. Looking forward to seeing your hard work.
    Gregg Soster
    National Mountain Bike Patroller

News & Updates

Nice job on the reworking of those switchbacks! Rode it Saturday morning and was very impressed, that section is even faster and more fun than before. Well done!

Big Terry

Re: News & Updates

I agree, I rode yesterday and the bermed turns were a blast! All the new armoring was very well thought out as well and rides very nicely.

Sent from here. Maybe there.

Reminder! The weekend of June 15-16 is the Mohican 100 Running Race which utilizes the MTB trail. Please Plan Accordingly!
    http://ombc.net/mohican-100-trail-ru...n-general-info

Would anyone be available to upload trail information to the www.MTBProject.com site. This would include a brief trail description, GPS files and Pictures. It could be great resource for new riders and people visiting from out of town.

See Mohican or Alum Creek trails as a perfect examples.

Thanks,
    Ed Braunbeck
    COMBO Board Member
    National Mountain Bike Patrol

Thread Information