Thread: P2 voids Trek Warranty ? yikes?

Unhappy P2 voids Trek Warranty ? yikes?

Well folks ... this is a vent ... but a little alarming.

First - thank you to all the trail workers that keep our trails awesome here in Central Ohio. As a fan/member of the IMBA/Combo effort, I am very grateful.

I am also a Trek brand loyalist, and still ride a 4300 series bike (with some upgrades) which meets my needs on P1 and P2 and a periodic trip to Mohican. Never an issue.

Last year, my business partner took delivery of a Gary Fisher X7 Excalibur that we bought at the Trek Store in Westerville (we actually know the owners, so it pains me to write this, but.... ) our company bought it as a gift to him.

He has ridden the bike on P1 and P2 .. nowhere else, and a few weeks ago on p2 the front wheel buckled and we had to walk it out. I was glad he did not get hurt since it resulted in an ENDO on a downhill. He doesn't jump the bike or do anything radical on it. So for a $900 bike it should be a good entry point for a 29'er on P1 or P2 ...

Trek will not honor the warranty, they claim the single wall rim is not meant to be ridden on a technical trail like P2. I am floored, and he has gone back to the store 2-3 times now since even the web site claims there should be a warranty on the Bontrager parts of the bike which would include the wheel.

The Trek store has maintained the bike, and if you look at it, you would think it was in brand new shape. It has less than 20 riding hours on it.

So my buddy is out a new front wheel and tire ... no warranty. I wonder if the frame would have a defect, if they would honor the Trek lifetime warranty on the frame if he rode it on P2 ....

The Trek web site calls the X-Caliber the type of bike that shreds miles of singletrack ... I guess the warranty department and Trek Store in Westerville don't believe that.

My buddy previously had a Cannondale that never had this issue ... I think it was a defective wheel and Trek/Bontrager should stand behind their product.

In my garage for my family there are no fewer than 4 Trek bikes.... I am now second guessing my brand loyalty a bit since the frame warranty had given me piece of mind.

I do know that wheels and bikes get abused, but in this case we had a picture of the wheel on the trail. I was with my buddy and the bike shows it has been well cared for and never abused (not one jump, we are slowish novices) ... heck the wheel buckled and he fell. He did not fall and bend the wheel.

not worth getting upset, just venting to other MTB folks. Thanks for the bandwidth.

Peace.

I'm sorry your friend taco'ed his wheel. It happens on a single wall rim, just a part of riding.

Any Trek dealer can get you a new wheel for a discounted cost with the Trek Care Loyalty Program.

Trek's Warranty:

Every new Trek bicycle comes with our industry's best warranty and loyalty program - Trek Care. Once your Trek Bicycle is registered the Trek Bicycle Corporation provides each original retail purchaser of a Trek bicycle a warranty against defects in materials and workmanship, as stated below:

LIFETIME

Frames for the lifetime of the original owner (except forks, the Session, Scratch, Slash, and Ticket model frames, and the swing arms on all full suspension bicycles)

5 years

Swing arms on all full suspension bicycles (except the Session, Scratch, and Slash model frames)

3 years

Session (aluminum), Scratch, Slash and Ticket model frames and swing arms

2 years

Session (carbon) model frames and swing arms
    RIDE+ motor, controller, & battery pack (or 600 charges, whichever comes first)
    All original Bontrager forks, parts and components (except consumables such as tires and tubes)

1 year

Paint and decals

This warranty applies to 2011 and newer model bicycles and covers only Trek and Bontrager branded products. Any other original part or component shall be covered by the stated warranty of the original manufacturer. Any products not specifically included above are hereby omitted.Any other original part or component shall be covered by the stated warranty of the original manufacturer. Any products not specifically included above are hereby omitted.
    THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:

Normal wear and tear
    Improper assembly
    Improper follow-up maintenance
    Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with the bicycle as sold
    Damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect
    Labor charges for part replacement or changeover

This warranty is void in its entirety by any modification of the frame, fork, or components. This warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a defective item, and said repair or replacement is the sole remedy of the warranty. This warranty extends from the date of purchase, is offered only to the original owner, and is not transferable. This warranty applies only to Trek bicycles purchased through an authorized dealer or distributor. Trek Bicycle Corporation is not responsible for incidental or consequential damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion of incidental or consequential damages, so the above exclusion may not apply to you. Any claim against this warranty must be made through an authorized dealer or distributor. Proof of purchase is required. A bicycle must be registered with Trek Bicycle Corporation before a warranty claim may be processed. Claims made outside the country of purchase may be subject to fees and additional restrictions. Warranty duration and detail may differ by frame type and/or by country. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and those rights may vary from place to place. This warranty does not affect your statutory rights. The English version of the warranty shall prevail.

For 2010 and older model bicycles, please consult your owner’s manual or contact us or an authorized dealer for the applicable warranty.
    TREK CARE LOYALTY PROGRAM

Sometimes accidents happen and you may need to replace a non-warranty damaged frame or part. That's why we made the Trek Care Loyalty Program. We know how much you love your Trek bike and understand the burden of having to replace a non-warranty damaged bike frame or part. This program can be used to obtain a discount on a replacement frame or component in the case of nonwarranty damage. Contact your local authorized dealer for details.

People laugh at me but I'm loyal to Diamondback and Mongoose Highend line of bikes.Its a shame at the 900 buck price range that they don't honor the warranty.This should start a good conversation on what is a good starter bike to get into this sport

Thread Information