Thread: Good P1 alternative?

Good P1 alternative?

So with P1 a no-go for riding, I've been looking around for new places to ride. I've been riding for 4 months now and P2 is still above my ability. I need a trail that will help me build confidence and practice my skills and P2 isn't that trail. Maybe next year I'll be managing the skinnies and drops but until then I need something more beginner friendly. The other day I came across a nice looking single track trail on the west side of Alum Creek. The trail head is at the corner of Peachblow Rd. and Old State. The posted signs say "multi-use" so I took my bike out to explore.

The single track thru the woods was about 5 miles. I think it was the Roots and Rocks race course (the people that destroyed P1) because there was a sign somewhere around mile 4ish, but there were almost zero signs of use. There were no other tire tread or shoe marks. Someone must be in charge of the land because there were several bridges (none of them bike friendly, had to dismount) but there was a lot of bramble growth and in places the path was overgrown. There is a pile of broken canning jars that have been shattered and were all over the trail around mile 3ish.

I guess my question is can we ride here if the trail is "multi-use"?

Before anyone asks, yes I've ridden CR and I love riding there. Unfortunately it's an hour away from my house and Alum Creek is right around the corner.

Other than a few narrow bridges there is nothing on P2 that is more difficult than P1. In fact, P2 is now easier than P1 because all the challenges have been removed by unskilled riders trying to dumb down the trail. Give it a try, just walk anything that intimidates you.
    Gregg Soster
    National Mountain Bike Patroller

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Other than a few narrow bridges there is nothing on P2 that is more difficult than P1. In fact, P2 is now easier than P1 because all the challenges have been removed by unskilled riders trying to dumb down the trail. Give it a try, just walk anything that intimidates you.
    If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you are just as frustrated as I am by not having a place for your skill level to ride. I can't wait until my skill level increases and P2 becomes a fun place for me to ride. Until then, it would be nice to have access to a trail that was beginner friendly.

I agree with Gregg that P2 isn't really more difficult than P1. There are options to ride around the majority of the obstacles and if there is something you find intimidating, you can always walk the section. Main thing is to take your time and ride safely.

While it is a bit of a drive, Huffman, near Dayton, is a great beginner trail. It's very easy for the most part but does have one more difficult area, Hawk's Lair, that is rocky and should be avoided by a beginner. The different loops all chain together so you can ride as short or as long as you want there.

http://www.spokejunkies.com/reviews/...t_page=huffman

Hope this helps.

I agree. Huffman, also known as Momba is awesome. Just skip Hawkes lair. An even better beginner trail that is closer is John Bryan. JB is 12 miles of bliss with no hazards at all.

Super recommendations, keep them coming. I've ridden England Idlewild in KY and that was a blast. I've also put in at the 2nd water stop on the Mohician 100 and ridden to the parking lot (I have to walk the rock garden, a few bridges, and the final dive to the parking lot) and then back up via the road. I also love Brown County (who doesn't love it?!?) and can ride the green and blue trails there. Heck, I've ridden part of the Big Frog 100k course down in TN. There is just something about P2 that scares the crap out of me. Maybe it was too wet when I tried riding it, but it seemed like I was popping off my bike multiple times in a mile and hot dog that isn't my idea of a fun time on my bike.

But back to my question- does anyone know if we can ride the trails on the west side of Alum Creek?

So my nephews (twin 8 year old boys) are coming in town today and have been wanting to bring their bikes to ride. They have ridden P1 and the beginner trail, but I am guessing those are both a "no go" for today. Reading this thread, are others OK with those who may be at the edge of their skill level on a trail holding them up? I would love to get them out tonight but I just don't want to get ourselves in a situation on the trail where ppl are irritated by their pace and that they would walking around things. Me personally, if I am out to "kill it" on the trail, I typically try to get out early so I avoid any first timers..... Thoughts?

Any update on the beginner trail?
    Last edited by gotama176; July 24th, 2014 at 10:29 AM.

You could always ride Phase 2 and walk the more advanced sections or you could take a trip to John Bryan State Park and ride their trails. John Bryan is great for beginners.

OST Noob, I need to post more
    I just rode p2 for the first time this year and found it easier than p1 in a lot of respects. I would also checkout chestnut ridge.

Thread Information