Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedford Trail

Hybrid View

Bedford Trail

So the admins delete the original Bedford trail talk thread. This happened after they inexplicably MOVED it to from this forum to the Trail Conditions forum.
    Bedford trail thread moved to Trail Conditions
    We have moved the Bedford Trails thread to Trail Conditions and removed new Bedford thread. Please use the Bedford thread for trail conditions only, not for stuff like "Hey love the new trail".

Thanks,
    admin
    So here is the new "Hey love the new trail" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    So the admins delete the original Bedford trail talk thread. This happened after they inexplicably MOVED it to from this forum to the Trail Conditions forum.

So here is the new "Hey love the new trail" thread.

Although I had nothing to do with moving the thread, I know the reason was duplicate threads. It seems like the admin was trying to do you a solid by consolidating duplicates and it went awry. Since the admin's time and effort is all voluntary as well as good intentioned, no need to be snarky.
    Gregg Soster
    National Mountain Bike Patroller

OST Noob, I need to post more critter23's Avatar
    When is the new section going to be completed? Also, I hope it is going to be like Mars Quarry. That trail system needs more of what MQ has to offer, IMO.

Forum Rider
    Hey, I do love the new trail. I've only been out there twice over the last week or so, but was very impressed. I had heard from a few folks that it was beginner and kind of got the feeling they meant beginner to the level of cart path, but it is actually quite entertaining. Mars Quarry is a hoot and I'd also like to see more like that, but have to keep in mind mtn bikers are still trying to earn their place in the CMPs.

The best part is that it is more or less on my way home from work, so I can stop and ride a loop provided I get out of the office in time.

The signage is pretty good as well, very nice touch. And the few folks I have encountered have generally been courteous, though I will say yesterday when I was out some folks walking reacted to another guy riding in a way that gave me the feeling they are either inclined to be against having bikes in the park, or have encountered rude cyclists.

The trail overall is good, I understand they want it to be more beginner oriented and all but why did they have to leave out any bit of technical section in the whole trail? There are no log piles, rock gardens, steeps or even downed trees left as obstacles. Surely you can leave some of these obstacles in and the beginners could walk them until they are ready right? Don't get me wrong I am very grateful to have the trail but I rode Bedford and West Branch on consecutive days this past weekend and the difference between trails is like 2 entirely different sports.

Need to get people into the sport somehow, can't say "hey you'll love this sport, go dump $1500 to get into it" and then throw them into West branch and expect them to think they made the right decision. I honestly like Bedford for pounding out a decent cardio, then if I want skill challenging tough I hit West branch.

That doesn't really answer the question of why there can't even be some sections that are a little more technical. Seems like there could be some more middle ground between a technical trail and a cruiser that Bedford just totally lacks. Also seems like plenty of people learned to ride out on Westbranch before these new trails were built. Sorry if this comes off as too much whining I just feel like that area has so much potential to be a really great trail and would love to see it developed more!

For the record, I really enjoy Bedford. Not much climbing, not too fast, not too slow, decent flow and pretty enjoyable overall.

West Branch can be a handful for some beginners. I took a guy there that freaked out on lake side trail just because of the steeper ups and downs and tree roots. But I think there could be some middle ground with very little effort. Simply leave some trail features in place and create easier alternatives just off the trail. Here is a post I made in another thread where I cited Bedford as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    I would like to see some trails that has a few "natural" elements left behind.

I cut my MTB teeth on private bridal trails in Aurora, Chardon and some of the metro parks in the early 90s. Back then if there was a log in the way, you either dismounted, crashed or cleaned it. The big chain ring was mostly used to crawl over logs back then. Today it's used to go dangerously fast at Royal View. (Going fast at Royal View is a blast too!) I would cross the Aurora branch of the Chagrin river twice on my local loop. You couldn't see the bottom, your feet got went as you bounced across the rocks beneath the water and if it was after a storm, the rushing water washed your wheels right out from under you. I had to ride home soaking wet in October or November more than a few times! It was cold, but it was FUN.

West Branch use to have a few tree falls that could easily be ridden and didn't kill the flow. Over time they were removed. As I ride through Bedford, I pass through tree falls that were cut to allow the trail to pass through. Why not let the trail pass OVER one or two of those and make the same cut 15 feet "off" the trail to create an alternate route? Why do we have make a log pile out of the trees we do leave in place? Does anyone remember the days when logs were scared by chain rings? And when is the last time anyone had to actually drop into a creek, stream or ditch because there was no bridge?

Look, I'm not suggesting that we need to ride home from MSP soaking wet and in a state of hypothermia. Nor am I saying that I want to be forced to dismount from my bike every five feet. But, how about a little variety? Maybe one old school log crossing (not piles)? Maybe a challenging water crossing. How about making a few of these features part of the trail, part of the flow, and move the bridge or alternate route just off the trail? I would love to see us work a little more with mother nature where we can.

I love that our trails are so nice, but sometimes they seem a little too nice or a little too contrived. They are still a ton of fun and I really do appreciate all of the hard work that gets put into them, but a part of me feels like we are missing something.

Couldn't agree more with you. There has got to be a way to have a trail that appeals more to beginners and experienced riders. There was a great post on Teton Gravity Research recently about how IMBA has dulled down many mountain Bike trails lately and how its a controversy in the sport since they bring so much attention and move the cause forward at the same time.

The only way this can work for every rider is the stacked loop trail (check the Trail Solutions book). Parks no longer are willing to make trails exclusively for mountain bikes because the hikers would complain or your average rider would complain that they are too dangerous and they have the right to use the trails too, so then the parks are forced to keep out all the obstacles mentioned. ohiomoto, I too remember those early days of the water crossings, logs, etc. but times have changed and not necessarily to the best.

Forum Rider
    Quick question - are these trails directional? Hikers enter on one end of a section, bike on the other, right?

Yes, The maps at the park show it as #A for bike entrance and #B for hikers. Some of the trails have signage that show either no bikes or no hikers at the beginning also no horses are permitted on the trail system except for sections of Friendship Trail. I've included a link to the map, hope this helps.

http://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/U...-MT-Biking.pdf

Forum Rider
    OK, I understood it correctly, thanks. I was starting to second guess myself lately since I keep encountering people coming the other way on their bikes, or see folks entering on the wrong end of sections.

Found a pair of glasses early Saturday morning. I was the first rider out that day so they would have been lost Friday. PM me with a description if you think they might be yours.

Any word on when the last section of trail will open, or has it already? Just says Fall 2014 on the map

ohmoto this one is for u:

OHIOMOTO
    It's not the miles in your form, it's the form in your miles!

Quote Originally Posted by trainwreck View Post
    ohmoto this one is for u:

YES!
    Good stuff!

So I am heading here tmrw. Where should I park?

The trail was in great shape today. And we were not dissapointed at all. Marked well but I would change a few things. It was a fun 10 miles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information