PDA

View Full Version : Update on DeerCreek MTB trail

BAA
June 19th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Does anyone know if the DeerCreek MTB trail was ever finished? I know there were a few people working on it.

Just wondering.

BA

khapkaos
June 24th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Only been in the area for 6 months so don't know the back story - but I would be more than happy to help out if there is work being done. When I called the park they told me it was not completed yet?

d_fisher
July 3rd, 2013, 06:41 PM
All activity stopped all Deer Creek over a year ago.

toad
July 4th, 2013, 11:02 AM
All work on the trail stopped in June 2012. All corridor has been cut, all armoring has been completed and all bridges have been built on both phases. There was a group of 5 people doing the work, Some devoting over 2 1/2 years to the project. The tread work was being done when work was stopped. Work was stopped due to burn out and the other usual issues. (If you have ever been involved with a trail you know what I'm talking about.)

I went out in the late spring to look and it was starting to grow over and is probably grown over by now. There are some areas near the pipeline that needs rebuilt due to pipeline work.

FastEd
July 6th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I hate to see all that work go to waste. How much is left to finish it? Assuming it were finished, is there a trail stewart that can coordinate maintenance?

khapkaos
July 8th, 2013, 08:02 PM
I know little about building trails but I would be willing to take up the organization part of it (and help with the blood sweat and tears of the work). I live in Lancaster so I'm about an hour or so away.

Steve G.

Dan Mascret
July 11th, 2013, 05:32 PM
I have not been on here in a while but here is the situation. When I started this project it was just to oversee and layout the course and the park was going to do all the work with just a little tweaking from our small groups of volunteers. Tim Waln was the park supervisor but when he resigned things started to change and the responsibilities fell on the small group of volunteers. When the park completely stopped helping we tried to get more volunteers by offering cookouts and bike shop discounts but we did'nt have any success getting help. There is about 2000 hours in and 40+ bridges and 30+ armored crossings finished. Probably 50 percent benched in allready but by now the weeds have taken over. I personally have lost the desire to continue working or even ride my mtb anymore because of the waisted 2 1/2 years of work.Would have been a great 13 mile loop with a surprising amount of elevation....

Dan Mascret
July 11th, 2013, 05:33 PM
I have not been on here in a while but here is the situation. When I started this project it was just to oversee and layout the course and the park was going to do all the work with just a little tweaking from our small groups of volunteers. Tim Waln was the park supervisor but when he resigned things started to change and the responsibilities fell on the small group of volunteers. When the park completely stopped helping we tried to get more volunteers by offering cookouts and bike shop discounts but we did'nt have any success getting help. There is about 2000
hours in and 40+ bridges and 30+ armored crossings finished. Probably 50 percent benched in allready but by now the weeds have taken over. I personally have lost the desire to continue working or even ride my mtb anymore because of the waisted 2 1/2 years of work.Would have been a great 13 mile loop with a surprising amount of elevation....

khapkaos
July 13th, 2013, 10:49 PM
If someone can give me maps, details, etc. and contact info for the park I''m willing to give it a go...