PDA

View Full Version : Ear buds for riding

jaxson
April 20th, 2013, 06:10 AM
I have a pair of Skullcandy Chops Buds that need replaced. I'm no audiophile, but found the Skulls to be adequate for riding ... when the buds themselves were against my ear. After a few minutes of trail riding (and frequently throughout a ride) I always needed to make an adjustment to get them lay flat against my ear again. To be fair, the Chops aren't an in-ear headphone and there's no way to tweak the size smaller or larger, depending on the size of one's ear canal.

Anyhow, I've been considering these two products:

http://www.klipsch.com/image-s4-black-in-ear-headphones and ...

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/sport-headset-in-ear-earphones-running-jogging-workouts-ocx-685i

I like the idea of the loop piece of the Sennheiser. A good, secure fit is what I'm after now.

Curious what other riders are using.

Thanx!

Gregg
April 20th, 2013, 07:24 AM
You're opening up a sore topic, riding with earbuds is a poor idea. You can't hear what is going on around you. Especially what is behind you, like another rider.

Funny story from last year. A rider with earbuds in and music blaring was in front on me,

I asked, "Does the music stop you from hearing what going on around you?"

He stared dumbly and then asked, "Did you say something?"

He then went on to defend the use of the earbuds as necessary for his enjoyment of biking.

Honestly, it's getting away from loud noise, crowds, traffic part of the reason to ride at all?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BSOD
April 20th, 2013, 07:47 AM
I'm with Gregg, you need to be alert on the trails.

That being said when I road cycle I use bone conducting headphones that don't cover my ears
http://www.aftershokz.com/AfterShokz-Sportz-2-Open-Ear-Headphones-p/as320.htm
the sound is merely acceptable, but you can still hear what is happening.
for ear buds I'd recommend either the Bose SIE2 or Monster iSport, the Klipsh sound great, but won't stay put.

jaxson
April 20th, 2013, 08:41 AM
I don't use earbuds when riding on the road. Since there are no mountain lions or grizzly bears in the area, I am not too concerned for my safety from predators on the trail.

I don't have a problem with people "riding up behind me". It's almost always me riding up to someone else. That's ok too, as I'm never in a hurry to get by someone whether they're using earbuds or not.

The rider in your story, Gregg, should not have had to defend his use of music while riding his mountain bike. That's his business.

Maybe you should police your comments to other people and mind your own business?

You guys are amusing, but your replies are not at all helpful to the topic of this thread.

Peace! And I'll see you when I ride up behind you on the trail!

IAMCLOUS
April 20th, 2013, 08:46 AM
One in the right ear on the road-none on dirt. Always have thoughts of getting clotheslined by headphone wire catching a branch. That and I want to hear (cause I won't see it or feel it) if I pick up a "hitchhiker" piece of debris in the rear der as soon as possible-otherwise I might break something and have to push the bike out of the woods.

BSOD
April 20th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I don't use earbuds when riding on the road. Since there are no mountain lions or grizzly bears in the area, I am not too concerned for my safety from predators on the trail.

I don't have a problem with people "riding up behind me". It's almost always me riding up to someone else. That's ok too, as I'm never in a hurry to get by someone whether they're using earbuds or not.

The rider in your story, Gregg, should not have had to defend his use of music while riding his mountain bike. That's his business.

Maybe you should police your comments to other people and mind your own business?

You guys are amusing, but your replies are not at all helpful to the topic of this thread.

Peace! And I'll see you when I ride up behind you on the trail!

my recommendations are spot on, I'll assume you meant to thank me for taking the time to give you my opinion, you are quite welcome.

jaxson
April 20th, 2013, 09:05 AM
I didn't get past the "I'm with Gregg" comment, BSOD, so I (initially) did not read the rest of your post. My apologies ... and thanks for the suggested link.

Gregg
April 20th, 2013, 06:05 PM
You should be conscious of the trail runner, hiker, trail workers that your rushing up on that you can't hear their warnings. Seen it many times during trail work days where oblivious riders with ear buds are slamming on their brakes to avoid what they could have easily heard.

Seems to apply to the earbud crowd perfectly..

Narcissism is a term that originated with Narcissus in Greek mythology who fell in love with his own image reflected in a pool of water. Currently it is used to describe a person characterized by egotism, vanity, pride, or selfishness. Wikipedia

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kuttermax
April 21st, 2013, 12:31 AM
JBud makes an interesting product. It routes a stereo signal into a single earbud. It allows you to hear the full signal in one ear and keep your other ear open to hear things around you. It also has a microphone on the cable. Good compromise for those who want to listen to something while riding but still be able to monitor the surroundings.

http://www.amazon.com/In-Ear-Single-Earphone-Headset-Enterprise/dp/B004TBY6YW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366518482&sr=8-2&keywords=jbud+single

jaxson
April 21st, 2013, 07:19 AM
And you should be conscious of how you describe people you don’t know: “dumbly”, “seems to apply to the earbud crowd perfectly” … wow. My perception is that there are a lot of dumb people like me riding CR with earbuds so you’d better get used to it, Gregg.

I call you out and say that you have not “seen it many times” of riders with earbuds “slamming on their brakes” to avoid other trail users, workers. What? You don’t think these riders have eyes to see where they’re going? Fabricated … a lie … cack.

Although I am a fine specimen for my age, I’m not so self-centered that I do not occasionally do trail maintenance, whether it be with a group or when I’m out riding by myself. I’m an advocate for our sport and have helped a few new riders get used to riding a bicycle on a trail. I can’t count how many time times I’ve stopped pedaling and pulled out my earbuds to ask someone who looked to be in need of help if they were ok, needed a tube, tool, a gel, or some water, etc. I’m sure that if you were to come along a similar situation, you would chastise the in-need rider and recite some bs Aesop’s fable of being unprepared, or dumb. Actually, you’d probably ride right past them. Good for them, then.

I drive a black Nissan SUV. I ride a Giant Anthem X. I you see someone who fits my description at CR or elsewhere, then please introduce yourself, Prez. But be mindful and respectful of how you speak to another person.

In the meantime and for the sake of this thread (as you have nothing worthwhile to contribute to it): Please shut your cyber-suck.

ohioplaya28
April 21st, 2013, 09:57 PM
I like to hear the noise around me.....I almost ran into somebody last year listening to music

Gregg
April 22nd, 2013, 01:07 PM
Jaxson,

Sorry this topic has gotten out of hand and mostly because of my assertions, in short my fault. I apologize for grouping earbud crowd into one mass, many riders do use one bud and are aware of what is going on around them. I do maintain that if both ears are getting blasted, you are putting yourself and others at risk. (read liable for an accident).

+10 years of trail building and many long hours of watching riders rolling by with music so loud that I can clearly hear what they are playing from several feet away. They really can't hear the person behind them or the conversation being direct at them, "Just ride to the right while we work on this log" for instance, they usually respond with "What!?" It's humorous and alarming at the same time.

I have walked many injured riders out of the woods or performed search and rescue with EMS on injured riders, I've been the first on the scene for head injuries, broken collarbones, heat stroke, and more than a few serious neck injuries and held their heads still while waiting for EMS to arrive with a back board and C-collar. I have given away more tubes and quick links that I've ever actually used my self.

My interest in letting people know the hazards of blocking out the sounds around them are from first hand experience with people saying they almost got "run over" and from being the first on an accident scene and needing to secure the accident by blocking the trail from a fast rider unable to hear the commotion at the accident ahead of them. We really do discuss this as an issue in our patrol training classes. Anybody who knows me, knows all these are facts from actual events that I have personally been involved.

We are all responsible for our own actions, if you hurt someone because you couldn't hear them it's no different than a driver with the stereo too loud to hear the siren or the car horn, you're liable.

I'm sure my writing this didn't change your mind, we can just agree to disagree and go ride. Stay safe.

BAA
April 22nd, 2013, 05:03 PM
It's amazing what you can do with a well positioned tire rub......!

jaxson
April 22nd, 2013, 08:33 PM
I would wager a guess that you’d be correct in your statement that if one rider injured another as you have described above, that they would be liable for the injury. The offending rider would probably not be absolved of the responsibility, even if the injury was unintentional.

But I say “probably”. I believe that we are, for the greater part, responsible for our own self-preservation. I mean, you can’t go sit in the middle of the street and think that you are safe from bad things happening to you, right? … or that if something bad does happen to you from sitting in the middle of the street, then it’ll be the driver’s fault?

Mountain biking is not an activity without risk. I think a reasonable rider understands that. So, if you are parked in the middle of the trail for whatever reason (drinking water, doing maintenance, etc.) and you hear another rider barreling down behind you then you’d best move off of the trail to stay safe. I would, and I do. Same would apply to runners. Not saying it’s the runner’s duty to defer to someone on a bike, ‘cuz it’s not. But when I’m running and hear a biker, I step off the trail … to reduce my chances of being hurt. Just common sense.

But enough of this. I still stand by my opinion that listening to music while mountain biking is a benign activity. We agree to disagree, but it’s all good now.

Peace … and Later!

BAA
April 23rd, 2013, 04:08 PM
My experiences with this? I don't use earbuds while riding ever. They just don't stay put for me. Since I ride SS a good chunk of the time, no chain noise. I have a tendency to sneak up on people. It is annoying when you have to scream your head off or be rude and rub a tire to get someone's attention but I have had to use both tactics. Had to do the same with trail runners. If you wear them keep your volume low so you can hear the first HEY! Otherwise, the tire rub is comin'.

BA

jaxson
April 23rd, 2013, 08:42 PM
More inflammatory dialogue?

BA(A), you are the biggest reason why I have never cared to donate my time or money to the COMBO cause. You have conveyed arrogance through various forum postings in the past and present. Frankly, with your abrasive and oafish personality, it’s a wonder you’ve gotten anyone in the Metro Parks or elsewhere to work with you or “your” organization.

Is it really that big a deal that another rider in front of you holds you up from setting land speed records? (Your 2 hour PR around MSP you’ve previously bragged of some time ago was the thigh-slapper of the week! I wish I could remember where you posted that.).

I wonder if you’d feel like more of a jerk-off finding out the rider you’re yelling at is a person who’s hearing impaired or deaf altogether?

I would construe your surprise “tire rub” as a threat to my safety, and quite likely it’s a form of battery. Such an aggressive action towards the wrong person might get your hind end laid-out on the trail and/or hauled into court.

You really should think through what you are going to say in writing with a little more prudence before you start tap-tap-tapping away on a keyboard.
You jerk.

BAA
April 24th, 2013, 08:10 AM
some reason his posted twice'

BAA
April 24th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Jaxson, my post was poking fun. I have never rubbed a tire of anyone I didn't know. I do it to friends as a joke. My PR at Mohican was a true 2:15 but I have never duplicated it. It was my lucky day and I can never seem to get close to it on a race day. Quite frankly, folks wearing ear buds don't really bother me. But I do think a low volume is a good idea. So please relax. Most people that know me will tell you I'm a pretty laid back guy but I do tend to ride agressively but that is the whole idea right? Lastly, I still help out COMBO from time to time but I am no longer on the board or in a leadership position in COMBO. After 17 yrs, I have retired so feel free to join COMBO. Don't let me hold you back. It was only my intention to lighten the mood not degrade it. My apologies.

Thanks
BA

brushman
April 24th, 2013, 09:18 AM
FWIW - After occasional outdoor use, both on road and trail, I have relegated my earbuds to the indoor trainer. Reason? - I don't like being startled or "surprised" by fellow riders or cars when immersed in my own high-volume audio world.

For example, when finishing-up an intense solo run at Mohican SP, a resting rider 'suddenly' caught up and passed me on the right scaring the sh*t out of me! (I'd been alone the entire previous 23 miles.) As he closely passed, I threw out some choice expletives, etc., but he shouted back that he'd alerted me, but I must not have heard - I had the earbuds in. (Huh??) Remembering this and feeling like a jerk, I followed him into the parking lot and apologized for barking and swearing at him. In any case, whether I was actually alerted or not, I decided at that point to no longer wear earbuds.

I don't miss them.

zook7
April 29th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Jax...whats going on man! Been a while. They arent the sexy pic but if you can find the $19.00 Sony behind the ear loop headphones, buy them. Good sound but more importantly, they stay right where you put them. I also use the addidas labled buds that are actually sennheiser speakers. Pretty decent but the loop doesnt stay in the same postition you put them in for very long. Kinda the reason I liked the sonys so much...the loop is a harder plastic. Glad to see youre on a Giant btw!

if52
April 30th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Doesn't answer the OPs question, but I'm with brushman, and Gregg for the most part. I don't even like using earbuds while at by desk at work. Not just because they prevent me from hearing coworkers creep up on me, but much as I don't like to admit it, the music kind of disengages me from the task at hand.

To answer the OPs question specifically though, Bose IE2 buds rock, but are kind of pricey, They fit in the bowl of your ear, and the buds sit out of the ear canal enough to allow you to kind of hear what's going on around you.

bamwa
May 13th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Hey Jaxson, I listen to music sometimes also but you come off as a prick so why don't you just stay off any trails that Greg or COMBO have worked on.
How about that? Nobody with a brain badmouths those who work and fight for more singletrack access.

jaxson
May 13th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Hey Jaxson, I listen to music sometimes also but you come off as a prick so why don't you just stay off any trails that Greg or COMBO have worked on.
How about that? Nobody with a brain badmouths those who work and fight for more singletrack access.

You're a little late to the party here, Chicken Head.

bamwa
May 14th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Fashionably late.

ohioplaya28
May 22nd, 2013, 09:26 PM
I'M LATE "JUST GET OUT AND RIDE.....JUST GET OUT AND RIDE....JUST GET OUT AND RIDE.....JUST GET OUT AND RIDE.....JUST GET OUT AND RIDE......JUST GET OUT AND RIDE.....JUST GET OUT AND RIDE......Review: On Sunday, August 23, 2009, a 44 yr old mountain biker wrecked and died @ Brady's Run due to blunt-force trauma to the head and neck. HE WAS WEARING A HELMET! This is just a reminder that we are not invincible and accidents happen regardless of skill level. This is not a highly techical trail, but, due to major elevation changes, it can be EXHAUSTING, which is when accidents happen. If you are at the point where exhaustion is affecting your reactions and/or control, get off the bike and take a rest. (There are plenty of benches and shelters along the way, with beautiful views of the valley to boot) I'M AGAINST RIDING WITH EAR BUDS BECAUSE YOU CANT HEAR WHATS AROUND YOU AND IT EFFECTS REACTION AND CONTROL!!!I'M LATE

ohiomoto
May 23rd, 2013, 07:27 AM
I'M AGAINST RIDING WITH EAR BUDS BECAUSE YOU CANT HEAR WHATS AROUND YOU AND IT EFFECTS REACTION AND CONTROL!!!I'M LATEWhat?

Okay, I've NEVER ridden road or mountain with ear buds and I highly doubt I ever will, but what are you talking about? I'll accept the first part of your statement, it's true you won't hear what is going on around you (or at least hear less) which is why I'm really surprised by the "I use them on the road, but not on the mountain bike" comments. I expected the opposite. I would rather piss off a fellow cyclist than get run over by a truck. Not saying I want to piss anyone off, just saying I don't want to die.

But the second part of your comment? Please explain just how ear buds affect (not effect) "reaction and control". I suppose you could argue that it affect reaction because you are unaware of what you might need to react to (like the truck about to hit you on the road), but ear buds will not impair ones physical reactions or ability to control a bicycle.

r3d
May 23rd, 2013, 12:26 PM
Please just don't listen to music while riding backwards on a trail, bombing down a section with a 40lb downhill rig, and run people off the trail... yes I've had it happen to me. Not sure why people want to listen to music anyhow, you're in nature, enjoy it.