PDA

View Full Version : Longest Paved Offroad Bike Path Around Central Ohio?

ChainGangster
March 16th, 2013, 02:47 PM
I'm an avid mountain biker but every once in a while I need to break out my road bike because of muddy conditions or bike down-time. I like road biking but I hate dealing with car traffic, so my ideal ride would be a long paved bike path that runs almost exclusively off road only to periodically cross roads instead of periodically being routed onto them for any certain distance. My question is, where is the longest stretch of paved bike path that does not divert you on to the road around the central Ohio area? My fear of being dragged to my death by a texting teen has kind of put a damper on my desire for road rides. Thanks!

SS_Eric
March 16th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Try this:

http://www.centralohiogreenways.com/index.php/trails

no t
March 16th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Go to Google maps.
Turn on bicycling layer.
Look. Best option for linking trails and seeing what's there.

Alum creek trail will soon be the longest going from westerville down to three creeks and beyond.

If you can get over the 'oh my god a street' you can start at Worthington Hills (top of the olentangy trail) head to downtown hit the Scioto trail at confluence park, roll through north bank and get on town street/bryden and take that past franklin conservatory to academy park and take the alum creek trail from there to three creeks. Town/Bryden is pretty mellow for traffic especially if you do it on a weekend. Goes quickly. A short bit of the neighborhood looks a bit sketch but is pretty legit actually.

The trail system around here is getting better every year.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

swampboy62
March 16th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Go to Google maps and up in the upper right corner, under the 'satellite/map' button, bring down the menu and click on 'bicycle'. That shows the bike trails. According to the map you can almost ride the entire way from Columbus to Cincinnatti on bike trails.

Also, check http://www.ohiobikeways.net/ for infor on bike trails across Ohio..

Steve Z

ChainGangster
March 21st, 2013, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the web links and the Google Maps suggestion, I'll check them out. I'm just looking for an off the road paved path that I can get on and cruise and not have to worry about traffic or the path turning to gravel or dirt without notice. In your experience, is the information on Google Maps kept current or is it somewhat dated information? Thanks!

swampboy62
March 21st, 2013, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the web links and the Google Maps suggestion, I'll check them out. I'm just looking for an off the road paved path that I can get on and cruise and not have to worry about traffic or the path turning to gravel or dirt without notice. In your experience, is the information on Google Maps kept current or is it somewhat dated information? Thanks!

That's a good question. I've been looking at the Google maps rail trails myself lately, considering a tour of Ohio on as much rail trail as I can string together. I've found a couple of places where they have proposed trails on the map - so you might think they're done but nothings there. Also, doing some 'virtual scouting' using their aerial photos I've found that some of the photos are old enough that they show pre-trail conditions - another thing that can be misleading. I was trying to verify using the ohiobikeways.net site, but their new map system doesn't have as much info as the old one and makes it kind of difficult to use.

Just a quick look suggests you might start at Batelle Darby Creek Metropark, SW of Columbus and go from there. Looks like a couple of short breaks at towns, but the longest stretch of riding. 'Virtual scouting' via the google maps satellite photos doesn't show a trail - but if you check the Bing maps aerial photo you can follow it for a long ways.

Good luck.

Steve Z

FastEd
March 22nd, 2013, 10:20 PM
We did a bike path ride last year that started at Tennis Courts off Wilson Bridge Rd and ended at Pickerington Ponds. Although we did hit some roads in downtown, it really was minimal. Overall mileage was around 70 miles.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/187704900

jaxson
April 22nd, 2013, 07:24 AM
You could try a route like this: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/276770323

Very nice road riding where we live. These roads are low traffic volume and have lots of scenery. The area in and around Clear Creek Metro Park is some of my favorite riding: Steady climbs, fast descents, and nature.

Rick
April 24th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Anyone know any details about the path they are putting in along 33 in Marble Cliff? Looks like it stops around 5th? (sorry for the hijack)

no t
April 24th, 2013, 11:44 AM
The Riverside path extends from where the path currently ends behind the commercial center (Rivers Edge?) to 5th. It will run parallel to Riverside/33 until 5th. In the future it should continue down 5th over the bridge.
Its another huge puzzle piece connection for the community on this side of town to access downtown off busy roadways, specifically 33.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2