PDA

View Full Version : General Bike Purchasing Question

beaser
February 29th, 2016, 05:13 PM
Afternoon all.

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but I am looking to get back into mountain biking.

I grew up biking in northern Michigan (Lewiston area in Johannesburg St. Forest, dirt bike trails or old abandoned two tracks through the hills) and competed in some downhill mountain bike races as a teenager. I used to ride a hard nose/tail Cannondale so I am very out of the loop when it comes to the newer mountain bikes with both front and rear suspension systems. Also, I rode on 26" wheels and I notice that 29's seem to be the new thing. Is it necessary though? I've done some initial research and I keep seeing folks posting that a Rockhopper is an excellent intro bike. Would you have any other recommendations?

I just moved about 2 miles from the P2 trail so I can ride directly there down Cheshire and want to take advantage of the fact that I have two of better central Ohio trails just down the street.

I have a 1k budget and I'm looking to pick up a solid bike. When I used to ride in northern Michigan ( I always carried an under seat pouch with my tools, some of the goo for patching as well as a spare tube. Two water bottle racks and an on frame pump as well as a standard odometer. Are these still necessary or is it just personal preference? I am not too sure since technology has advanced since I rode (dad sold the bike when I went off to college in 2003).

Your thoughts/opinions are definitely welcome.

Thanks again,

Jason

SS_Eric
February 29th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Hi Jason,

First off, welcome to Ohio!

I buy and sell a lot of bike frames. I find 29er wheels a big advantage over smaller wheels. Rollover and traction are both noticeable advantages. These days, you'll be hard pressed to find a new 26" wheeled mountain bike. The big (er, medium sized) new thing is 27.5" wheels, which, despite their name, are only an inch bigger in diameter than a 26er. I find they ride pretty much the same, and I prefer 29" to both.

For $1000, I would recommend* a hardtail 29er. Your best buy will be finding a last year closeout model. Roll: at Polaris has a big sale this weekend, and REI and Performance usually have good deals in the back of the rack.

*for a general person. If it were me buying for me, I would buy a rigid steel single speed 29er. But that's just me.

Water, tools, pump, etc. are all good things to have. Still.

Gibby
February 29th, 2016, 08:03 PM
Hello Jason,
Here is a shameless plug to promote the sale of my Airborne HobGoblin. Right at your price point. Spec'd really well and taken care of. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160301/96befce069edac430e2624135ab02bbc.jpg

Let me know if you might be interested.

Good luck in your search.
Grant

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

rcracer
March 1st, 2016, 09:34 AM
The latest thing is Fat bikes with 4"-5" tires so you can ride in the winter too. I have a hardtail fat bike with 4" tires and ride it year round as my only ride. The big tires provide a lot of traction and bump absorption on Alum creeks abundant roots. Then there is 27.5+ and 29+ which are 3" tires to split the difference for 3 season riding, but these are not enough for true snow riding.

swampboy62
March 2nd, 2016, 10:57 AM
There are plenty of 26 inch bikes out there, be sure to check them out as well as 29'ers and fat bikes. Nothing against fat bikes (got one myself) but I wouldn't want it as my only mountain bike.

My Gary Fisher (Trek) Marlin is a great entry level 26". Upgraded with disc brakes it's still within your budget.

Try asking over on mtbr.com - you'll get a wider range of answers.

Steve Z