PDA

View Full Version : Night riding

joshlong
November 2nd, 2015, 10:54 AM
Anyone riding after dark now that the time has changed? I think chestnut closes at dusk but I was wondering if alum creek was rideable after dark?

bkennedy5359
November 2nd, 2015, 01:47 PM
There are many of us who ride Alum after dark. The park closes at 11 PM. I think there are some organized night rides each week but I'm not sure the details.

Kuttermax
November 2nd, 2015, 07:18 PM
Alum is a lot of fun to ride with lights. This time of year though it is important to be careful on some of the bridges which can get a bit slippery if they are wet/damp. A few people had some bad wrecks over the years.

Has anyone revisited whether there would be the option of some extended hours at Chestnut? I know the community surrounding Chestnut had voiced concerns regarding traffic noise in the past, but with the short days it sure would be nice to be able to still get out at least in the early evenings.

joshlong
November 3rd, 2015, 12:30 PM
I agree with you on the bridges. I actually went out yesterday after work and did a lap at p2. It wasn't bad with lights, feels like a completely new course in the dark.

It would be great to have extended hours at chestnut. I don't know how many people actually ride after dark, but there was only one other car in the parking lot yesterday. I can't imagine there would be that much noise for the community.

jjames0302
November 4th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Any recommendations on lights for night riding? Everything I read is use a bike and helmet mount... Any recommendations on flood vs spot and recommended lumens? Any recommended brands?

joshlong
November 4th, 2015, 09:48 PM
I have a bright eyes light from Amazon on my bars and a standard led head lamp that I attached to my helmet. It works pretty good. I would recommend having both a bar mount and a helmet mount. The helmet mount is good for seeing what's around the corner before you actually turn that direction.

Josh_W
November 5th, 2015, 05:30 PM
I have a tiny LED on the handlebars, more for visibility than illumination, to get me to the trail and back again, and then a 300 lumen MagicShine with a helmet mount. I'm in the market for an even higher-output unit for the handlebars, as my neck gets sore from constantly bobbing up and down to cover the ground in front of me and what's ahead, where my eyes could do most of the moving with dual lights.

ohiomoto
November 18th, 2015, 10:54 AM
http://amoebalight.blogspot.com/